Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

just blew my engine. what is needed for a l67 install

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by monte07
I have a question for you bumpin I did a 3.8 n/a swap from my 3.5 to that 3.8 right now I got a flex plate from a supercharged one to see if it would start and idle. it did but I don't want to hurt my trans. would that weight do that much damage? if I drove it around the block. I do have a set of supercharged heads cam and right now saving to get a good remand supercharger. would the supercharged flex plate do harm? I wanted to ask because I know the internals of my 4t has the double chain and majority of what the hd has because I asked the shop to put the best in. but I wanted to ask because of the work you have done to your 3.8. plus I wanted to get input from you because of that good looking thing you have
I wouldn't think it would matter to the trans at all. It's part of the engine's balancing system (along with the balancer). Sounds like you've got an NA engine, so you should either buy an NA flexplate and drill the holes to match the converter, or buy an aftermarket unit with the right balance.

Probably wouldn't hurt anything just idling or driving around the block, but why bother? It's a ton of work to change it to the right one so just do it right the first time. I wouldn't screw with engine balancing at all unless a machine shop is rebalancing the entire assembly or you're deleting the balance shaft (which isn't for primary balancing and is net zero to itself).
​​​​​