Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Installed Car Tuning 4T65E tranny pan extension.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Installed Car Tuning 4T65E tranny pan extension.

Thought I had posted this before, buy guess not. CarTuning Inc. offers a very special billet component for our transmissions. This aluminum 1" extension provides us an additional 4 quarts of fluid which helps provide enhanced cooling abilities and since heat is our transmissions enemy, cooler is a good thing. Also during aggressive driving and cornering the filter will not come out of the fluid. Combined with the all aluminum finned tranny pan to help dissipate heat and the use of 2 Earl's tranny fluid coolers and the GM radiator tranny cooler I consistently run 20 plus degree's cooler than the coolant temperature.
I hope to get about 40,000 hard miles from my recent tranny build.

Note the Car Tuning pan extension above the finned pan.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 11-04-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 PM

As always, nicely done...

What kind of drop kit are you using? Eibach? 1.5/1.2? Doesn't look like it but you worried about clearance issues?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Interesting find on the extension! Do you have a link to the extension?

I so want an aluminum trans pan, partly for the drain plug access lol!!

Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

If for nothing, the drain bolt is worth it alone... After one tranny fluid change, I was sold; the magnet just won't stick inside. just an fyi.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

Hey hi, what you will need to do is e-mail or phone Kevin the owner of CarTuning Performance and ask for the extension. It's not listed on his site, but he does carry it. They manufacture this item in house, thats probably why you don't see or hear so very much about it. Cost was about $300 which was not bad as a custom one will run upwards of $800. The drain plug as you can imagine is super sweet, really made changing the fluid a lot less messy for sure.

Sam's custom made extension: Note the quality difference, extruded bolt eyelets, anodized aluminum.

Link to Car Tuning Performance:

Cartuning Performance

Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mac7504
As always, nicely done...

What kind of drop kit are you using? Eibach? 1.5/1.2? Doesn't look like it but you worried about clearance issues?
Damn your good, exactly what I'm using the Eibach system you outlined. Never have been worried about clearance issues, until, until.. the tranny pan extension. Hit a smaller rock in the road the other day which I normally would give no second thought to, and wham hit it. The pan and exposed drain plug is now about 4" off of the ground. Spoke with Matt today about this very issue, were going to fabricate a cow catcher type steel guard to prevent me ever getting the drain plug or pan damaged. Your good! What an eye, you have a lot of knowledge for sure. Cool to see you back here.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Shame shame shame Greg..... if it wasn't for me telling you, you would of never knew about this lol. Mine is getting ordered hopefully in the next month along with his headers I told you about that you got and also his meth injection kit

Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Damn your good, exactly what I'm using the Eibach system you outlined. Never have been worried about clearance issues, until, until.. the tranny pan extension. Hit a smaller rock in the road the other day which I normally would give no second thought to, and wham hit it. The pan and exposed drain plug is now about 4" off of the ground. Spoke with Matt today about this very issue, were going to fabricate a cow catcher type steel guard to prevent me ever getting the drain plug or pan damaged. Your good! What an eye, you have a lot of knowledge for sure. Cool to see you back here.
Thank you sir....

I know, some guys don't recognize me or my screen name but I've been around for a while (even more the my join date dictates)... Also, that was my guess because that's what I use to run and the exact stance my car use to have. LOL I have since switched to the Koni adjustable strut kit (now discontinued). I'm also running the same tranny pan and still worry about hitting a heavy dips in these terrible LA freeways...Glad to see you have the connects to get er done; wish I did..!!!! All my 3800 LA 3800 pals faded away or retired...sigh...

I leave the extinct M2k.com an sort of established member, and I come back to MCF feeling as a newb...HAHAHA Same thing when I had to get info over on the R6 forum...haha The way for the web, I guess...lol . Good to be back for sure...:cheers:

Old 11-05-2013, 08:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Nice ad on. I have the finned aluminum pan on my Monte...installed it at 20,000 miles. I have no hard evidence to support what I'm about to say, but I can definitely say the pan didn't hurt the tranny. LOL. I have 196K on my Monte presently and I'm still on my stock 4T65E...never done anything more than change the fluid and filter ~25-35K. I personally believe that whatever added cooling the fins on the tranny pan added, it's helped prolong the life of my tranny. We all know it is NOT common for a 4T65E to make it 200K stock, and the only thing i've done differently than most is install the aluminum pan, so I call it worth it for that reason.

And as you all have mentioned, the drain plug alone makes it worth the money. Tranny fluid changes have never been cleaner and easier to perform.

I'd be curious how the extra fluid & cooling capacity, in combo with the cooling fins on the aluminum pan could really extend tranny life.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Greg:
Nice Mod add on!
Glad to hear its working out the way you need it to be..
Well done Great Find!

Quick Reply: Installed Car Tuning 4T65E tranny pan extension.