Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

How to get rid of knock?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

my tuner suggested e85 after I mod a bit more and its definitely something I'd do! intense-racing says they would cam my car and dyno tune me for 1700. I just gotta find the time to drive out there lol

Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

lol Intense sucks

500 for a cam and install kit, 200 for a tune, so they're charging a grand in labor... Sounds legit to me. :\

Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 38 SSpecial
my tuner suggested e85 after I mod a bit more and its definitely something I'd do! intense-racing says they would cam my car and dyno tune me for 1700. I just gotta find the time to drive out there lol
Holy sh**. Does that price include the lube?

Old 03-31-2013, 11:17 AM

just a question how many hours does cam swap, and dyno tune take on one of those cars?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member

500 for cam AND install kit?? where?! Lol man, I thought 1700 was cheap! I looked online and all the parts ill need for the cam are right under a thousand. tune here would cost me about 400 and I haven't found anyone that would do the install for less than 1200! lol

the lube? Lol

no idea how many hrs it would take for a cam install plus tune. I'm guessing maybe 18hrs? that's kinda what ive been hearing

Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 AM
15 Year Member

XP HOT Cam from ZZP - $324.99. Install kit from ZZP - $109.99.

Camshafts & Valvetrain

Just scroll around and see the prices of different cams. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member

don't I need to change my valve springs as well? also a new timing chain, retainers, and lifters when swapping cams?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 38 SSpecial
500 for cam AND install kit?? where?! Lol man, I thought 1700 was cheap! I looked online and all the parts ill need for the cam are right under a thousand. tune here would cost me about 400 and I haven't found anyone that would do the install for less than 1200! lol

the lube? Lol

no idea how many hrs it would take for a cam install plus tune. I'm guessing maybe 18hrs? that's kinda what ive been hearing
im assuming the lube comment was meant as in saying the guy that wanted to charge you 1700 is trying to **** you. thats why i was asking the guys that were shocked about the price how long it takes to do. on the ls4 ive heard as fast as 4 hours, but i can assure you i couldnt do it in that amount of time. the ls4 can be done through the wheel well but the motor is practacally out of the car. im wondering what the actual book time would be for a cam swap on a 3800. at 10 hours for the install your looking at a 1000 bucks at a decent swap and then youre going to need it tuned.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM
15 Year Member

Taken straight from ZZP's XP Hot cam page.

Designed and used by Chris White, the Competition cams X-P HOT cam is designed for supercharged or nitrous applications on 96 and up GM 3800s. The XP cam produces higher WHP and torque numbers than any cam grind currently available (that can be used with stock heads).

* Notes:

This cam (and any cam with a lift of over ~.515) requires upgraded valve springs and modified retainers for safe long term operation on stock heads. You can run higher lift than that with stock valvetrain but you're asking for trouble. Down the road you will be using oil as your valve seals become prematurely worn. When using the stock timing chain and dampener, the 105's are recommended over the 90# springs because they will give less wear on the dampener and are a better spring in general.

Think you're going to be OK because another company told you so? Check this out:
"I had this installed last summer, and to my knowledge, I didn't need any machining on the guides to have this cam installed. Car soon started to use a little bit of oil it never had prior. It got to the point of about 1 quart a week, so took it apart sure enough the new seals were all chewed up the lift on the cam was to big and they were coming in contact with the guides."

"I had the same problem too last summer, So I called and got a new set of viton seals, and didn't have a problem since then. Unfortunately I had to park my gp about 3 weeks after switching over to the news seals for problems unrelated to the cam. And ya mine was using about a quart a week too."

"Also have the same cam and have to add a quart of oil every other month or so."

Those are just a few situations that we pulled off of the message boards. Users were misled by another company into thinking that they would be safe running a higher lift cam w/o properly setting up their car for it. Six months to a year later they found out the hard way that you couldn't. It's easy to sell cams with big numbers and promise big gains, but part of modifying a car is doing it in such a way that your investment will last. This is why we are very up front with what to expect with our cams and encourage owners to Email with any questions you might have before making a purchase.

Look for gains of 40-55 hp depending on your car's current configuration.

212°/224° at .050"
Intake Lift .325" (.520" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio)
Exhaust Lift .335" (.536" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio)
116 Lobe Separation

Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member

This modding thing is such a hassle

Thanks for all the info though guys! Just out of curiousity, how many monte's do you guys know of that are cammed? Here in MN there arent many whatsoever. I dont even think ive ever seen another modded monte to be honest lol

Will be ordering X-P cam instead of s1x cam, and will update pics and vids once installed

Quick Reply: How to get rid of knock?!