Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine Build: has any one noticed this

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 04:52 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default has any one noticed this

the oil pan on my 3500 v6 7th gen does a drop of oil when the engine is running at first I thought it was the trans pan.
which it was leaking to a point not hemraging though. that trans pan is not dripping any more new gasket replaced the old one when I did it.
but how hard would it be to replace it?
it looks like the bolts are 10mm but it would look like a pain to change.
but the drops of oil looks like it is coming from where the oil filter is but it is tight I might change it and take a look around it to see if the leak might be some thing else

Old 09-01-2016, 09:02 AM

If it's leaking near the oil filter, it may be the oil filter adapter that bolts to the side of the block. I had that issue in my 08 impala 3500. The gasket between the adapter and block was leaking and it was soaking the oil pan and dripping occasionally on the ground.

The gasket was cheap and relatively easy to replace, I want to say it was just 3 simple bolts holding it on.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:47 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it wouldn't surprise me to be honest thank you bumpin. for the feed back

I will look in on it when I do my next oil change. to see how weird it is to get to it. I have to double check the trans pan just to make sure every thing is still tight. that gasket was cheap the last time I did it the dealer gasket started to leak on be go figure. get some thing from the dealer to make sure it is part from them not expecting it to be cheap. I am glad I didn't go with there filter and gasket again. the one from felpro is a lot better thicker rubber filter non metal rubber combo. don't get me wrong that type made it easier to put the pan back on. but I did use gasket in a tube to help keep the rubber gasket straight on the pan. I am going to lok into what you mentioned on the oil filter adapter to see on the replacement. when I first got the car it had some thing similar replaced. might have to do the same thing again on this engine