Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Guess my horsepower :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Congrats! Thats unbelievable

Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks man!!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
That looks confusing lol are you using a venturi style still?
It's really not that bad if you think about it- each pump has a sock on the bottom for inlet, and a hose coming out of the top for output. Each hose goes to a new fitting in the top of the lid.

Return comes back through the old feed, and the old return was cut off on top of the lid, but left it on the inside the tank to use it for support.

I really didn't see any way to make it more simple- there was no way I was going to more than double pump flow through the stock feed line in the lid- it was far too small with the bends accounted for. I'm ok using the stock feed as a return path since I plan to run a fuel pump controller to slow the pumps down at low speed.

Same goes for the wires. They are certainly adequately sized for stock, and have some headroom for a little more current via a small upgrade- like a single 255 swap. But IMO for a big single, or duals, the wires are just too small. You'd really be shooting yourself in the foot to use them since you've already got everything torn apart anyways. Many people upgrade the wiring from the battery to the tank connector even with 255s, so it is certainly helpful to finish upgrading wire size the rest of the way, especially with a larger than stock pump.

As for venturi- the 96 monte carlo tanks don't use a venturi setup.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is the fuel pump I ended up using. We shed the Aeromotive A11104 and replaced ith with an externally mounted Weldon 1100 fuel pump. Works very well. Here is a link for you to review. it's supposed to be the longest lasting pump on the market. Also re-used the Aeromotive fuel pump speed controller to further drop the pumps voltage draw, and have it run at reduced operating levels while not WOT. Weldon has their own Pump speed controller, but said the Aeromotive one would work. They told Matt this was the correct configuration (using a speed controller) for a street car.

// WELDON RACING PUMPS // 1100 HP Inline Fuel Pump -- Weldon Racing Pumps

http://www.weldonracing.com/product/...ontroller.html

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 04-16-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member

I wonder how that would work do to mine being venturi...

Greg that's an external pump... how did you sump your tank to use this pump?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

If you look at our tank it actually has it's own natural sump so to speak. It's pretty ideal for mounting and external pump and penetrating the flat wall of the sumped area. Matt fuel resistant epoxied in a couple of baffles. We removed the submerged Aeromotive from inside and per Weldon's instructions mounted their pump externally. Also this is an older photo and the 90 degreee elbows the Vegas guys installed have since been eliminated to more moderate radius elbows. So we now have an intank pre-pump filter and a post in-line filter.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member

Greg, that's a factory tank? I need more info on this lol. What pump is in the tank? How is everything wired? External pump only on under boost or all the time?

Old 04-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Greg, that's a factory tank? I need more info on this lol. What pump is in the tank? How is everything wired? External pump only on under boost or all the time?
Yes that is our factory tank, at least on the 02, don't know if they changed the 04's any, but doubt they would have. There is no pump in the tank at all, just a pre-pump filter now . Single external in-line Weldon pump working under all the conditions, hence the trunk mounted pump speed controller to permit it to draw less voltage when the pump is not being demanded to deliver under boost conditions.

I can get you any wiring specifics from Matt when I see him next week. My Monte is presently up at his shop getting a engine performance check up, new AGX struts etc.., got to get her ready for the trip back to you and the Nats. Want it to be in top form.

So I forgot again, What did you say your secret project was??

Old 04-18-2014, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member

Ok cool. If you could get me as much info as possible on how it was installed and what all was needed etc that would be great! Thanks greg!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member

hey greg, one more question..... what did you do for sending unit etc so you still have your fuel level gauge? would love to see how this is wired up

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Guess my horsepower :)