Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

The Good and Bad of superchargers???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Default The Good and Bad of superchargers???

While in my search for another Monte I happen to come across the 2004 Supercharged one. Its the color I want but it has alot of miles at 139,000. The guy is dead firm on his price of $6000. What im wondering is it good or smart to purchase a supercharged with this many miles at this price?? I ran a carfax report on the vehicle he is the 3rd owner and bought it about 6 months ago and has changed all the fluid and only ran Shell 93 though it. I want the car but Im just not to sure if this would be a smart investment on my part because I would either have to
A. Sell my desert eagle
B. sell or pawn my rims and sound system
C. Take out a 1000-1500 loan to get it

I know from my last post that Loans aren't that bad but I dont want to buy the car if it not for the right price. Below Ive attached the link on craigslist and some pictures

2004 Monte Carlo SS supercharged

Attached Thumbnails The Good and Bad of superchargers???-mcsc1.jpg   The Good and Bad of superchargers???-mcsc2.jpg   The Good and Bad of superchargers???-mcsc3.jpg   The Good and Bad of superchargers???-mcsc4.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Go take a look at it, check out the fluids, ask if the super charger oil was changed, take it for a test drive, see how the team shifts, check the snout on the super charger for play, I couldn't tell you how to so maybe some one will chime in that can, I say sell your old rims and get that thing if it all checks out good

Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM

He said he replaced all the fluid because before him he didnt know when they had been changed so he switched the supercharger oil and everything I probably couldnt get too much for my rims because one needs a new tire and I dont have the centercaps for them

Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 PM

i love my supercharger

i replace my supercharger oil every 30k.
and thats it!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

It looks pretty good. The guys at Index page : PontiacBonnevilleClub.com have a LOT of tech knowledge on the L67 (I believe on of the guys even has a document on how to add a drain plug to your super charger).
My thoughts are:
- Has the LIM gaskets been changed? If not, they are going to be due SOON. Even as a D.I.Y., it's still has a reasonable cost (guessing gaskets and fluids, at least $100-$150 or more).
- As noted, check the snout pulley
- As noted, verify 100% the super charger has fresh fluid
- Ask why the current owner is selling after only having it 6 months (be prepared for a line of B.S., but it's worth asking).
- Inspect all fluids (get a little from the dip stick, place on fingers, rub and feel as well as smell). If fluids are grossly mis-colored, smell funny, well, there may be more to this.
- Ask if there is any information if the trans has ever been serviced/rebuilt. Also, big question, when the trans fluid was changed last, was it a pan drop fluid/filter change OR just a trans fluid flush (which does not change the filter and is harder on the trans IMO).
- Ask if plugs and wires have been changed (original plug wires will have the number for what cylinder they go to, I have never seen after market, including AC Delco replacement wires having the cylinder numbers on them). Again, they are due if they have not been changed.
- How are the brakes?
- Don't be afraid to layer on the ground and look at the floor pans, rocker panels, inner fender wells, any parts of the car hard to see.

Anything you find wrong OR find has NOT been maintained becomes a bargaining chip, even to a guy firm on the price. I have seen a couple Montes in my area go for sale, claim "firm" on the price and later have lower price tags.

Also, if it makes you feel better, in December of 2010, I bought an '05 Impala with a 3400 for my wife (it's a winter beater). It's like a 4 door Monte (another W-body car). It had 150,000 miles on it. We got it for $500, but it needed a transmission (I sourced one and had a shop put it in, total bill $1200). It also needed a rear O2 sensor (to rid a check engine code) and some general maintenance (replace the FACTORY plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil change and I also sucked out brake fluid/power steering fluid from there bottles and topped off with clean/new fluid). The car runs GREAT! It's not as cherry looking as that Monte you are eyeing up (has some light rust in a few spots, but it's a great car for what we have into it). It's also the less expensive drive train too (meaning, has lower blue book value then what you are looking at).

Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

6000 is a good price. I paid 8000 for mine 2 years ago.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 PM

All I can say is I bought my Monte Nov 2010 with around that many mile and I now have 167,xxx got about $1,500 in repairs so far I've replaced all the plugs,wires, coils, pads, MAF, Fuel filter and rear exhaust manifold and had the radiator flushed.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 PM

I have 150,000 without the supercharger and I've done 2500 in work to mine in last 8 months and I've drove it like a baby!

Old 04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

i may buy your desert eagle if u decide to sell it lol

Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
i may buy your desert eagle if u decide to sell it lol
My deagle is the one this I DONT want to get rid of.

Originally Posted by MONTE2000SS
I have 150,000 without the supercharger and I've done 2500 in work to mine in last 8 months and I've drove it like a baby!
That sucks man I really dont have the money to fork out repairs

Originally Posted by BigPana
All I can say is I bought my Monte Nov 2010 with around that many mile and I now have 167,xxx got about $1,500 in repairs so far I've replaced all the plugs,wires, coils, pads, MAF, Fuel filter and rear exhaust manifold and had the radiator flushed.
See thats what I am scared I dont want to buy something and still have to put so much work into it. But it seems like the price range I have is limiting me to cars with high mileage im stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
It looks pretty good. The guys at Index page : PontiacBonnevilleClub.com have a LOT of tech knowledge on the L67 (I believe on of the guys even has a document on how to add a drain plug to your super charger).
My thoughts are:
- Has the LIM gaskets been changed? If not, they are going to be due SOON. Even as a D.I.Y., it's still has a reasonable cost (guessing gaskets and fluids, at least $100-$150 or more).
- As noted, check the snout pulley
- As noted, verify 100% the super charger has fresh fluid
- Ask why the current owner is selling after only having it 6 months (be prepared for a line of B.S., but it's worth asking).
- Inspect all fluids (get a little from the dip stick, place on fingers, rub and feel as well as smell). If fluids are grossly mis-colored, smell funny, well, there may be more to this.
- Ask if there is any information if the trans has ever been serviced/rebuilt. Also, big question, when the trans fluid was changed last, was it a pan drop fluid/filter change OR just a trans fluid flush (which does not change the filter and is harder on the trans IMO).
- Ask if plugs and wires have been changed (original plug wires will have the number for what cylinder they go to, I have never seen after market, including AC Delco replacement wires having the cylinder numbers on them). Again, they are due if they have not been changed.
- How are the brakes?
- Don't be afraid to layer on the ground and look at the floor pans, rocker panels, inner fender wells, any parts of the car hard to see.

Anything you find wrong OR find has NOT been maintained becomes a bargaining chip, even to a guy firm on the price. I have seen a couple Montes in my area go for sale, claim "firm" on the price and later have lower price tags.

Also, if it makes you feel better, in December of 2010, I bought an '05 Impala with a 3400 for my wife (it's a winter beater). It's like a 4 door Monte (another W-body car). It had 150,000 miles on it. We got it for $500, but it needed a transmission (I sourced one and had a shop put it in, total bill $1200). It also needed a rear O2 sensor (to rid a check engine code) and some general maintenance (replace the FACTORY plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil change and I also sucked out brake fluid/power steering fluid from there bottles and topped off with clean/new fluid). The car runs GREAT! It's not as cherry looking as that Monte you are eyeing up (has some light rust in a few spots, but it's a great car for what we have into it). It's also the less expensive drive train too (meaning, has lower blue book value then what you are looking at).
Great advice!!! ill be sure to ask some of these questions that I missed right now we have a meeting set up for Wednesday I have yet to go to the bank though to get the loan. I keep punking out I literally was outside of the bank Friday for 30 min scared not knowing whether im making the right decision

Quick Reply: The Good and Bad of superchargers???