Monte Carlo Forums

Go Back   Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums > Your Ride > Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2010, 04:48 PM

Trader Rating:(0)
Default Gas Smell!!!

I have noticed lately after i drive my car and park it there is a gas smell that lasts all night and into the morning. I just did the straight pipe exhaust which i posted video for but i had no problems for a while. The smell is not an exhaust fume smell but a raw gas smell. Im not sure where to look to see what could be leaking since i dont see and gas on my garage floor. Some people are telling me that the evaporator canister is clogged, the fuel filter, the injectors..... im just not sure. If anyone could point me in a direction that would be great...

2003 Monte SS
92,000 miles

Thanks

GOING THROUGH LIFE A QUARTER MILE @ A TIME!

K&N CAI, Street Performance TBS, Magnaflow Downpipe 2.5", Drilled and Slotted Rotors, 20" Black and Stainless steel Rims, Resonator Delete, Muffler Delete.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:03 PM

id start with the gas cap. and then work my way forward. fuel lines and what not.

http://montecarloforum.com/forum/members/themonteman-5662-albums-small-block-montes-238/
Old 09-23-2010, 06:52 PM

Check the metal fuel lines under the car (drivers side, along the frame rail) to see if any have rusted through and are leaking in any spots.

If the metal lines are good, check the fuel pressure regulator and make sure it's not leaking on the rails. If the regulator is OK, check the nylon lines under the hood to make sure they don't have any cracks or pinholes that are leaking.

Check the mating points where the nylon lines connect to the fuel rails (these are connected with quick-disconnects).

These would be the likely leak spots- report back and let us know!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:24 PM

What do you guys think about it being the gas tank vent hose? Or possible a cracked fill hose? Start simple and work your way up.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

@nitehawkjcb Beech House @nitehawkjcb
Send a message via Yahoo to nitehawkjcb

Put the key in the on position. Pop the hood. Check around all your injectors and fuel lines. If there's a leak, it will be SPRAYING out.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/788651
'96 Monte Carlo
April 2012 MOTM
Expert PC Computer Repair
13.81@102
Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 AM

Thanks guys ill check and let u know

K&N CAI, Street Performance TBS, Magnaflow Downpipe 2.5", Drilled and Slotted Rotors, 20" Black and Stainless steel Rims, Resonator Delete, Muffler Delete.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:26 AM

Check your fuel pressure regulator as well. Pull the vacuum hose off of it and smell the line. If you smell/see any fuel then the diaphragm is shot and it needs to be replaced

2004 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged Dale JR Edition #1,061 of 2,883

Mods:
180*t-stat
Wizaird CAI
3 inch zzp downpipe with high flow cat
zzp 1.0 pcm
front PEM
autolite 104's, 3.6 mps, 1.8/1.85 split ratio rockers
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Well i found out it was the fuel line quick disconnect on the back side of the fuel rail.. tried replacing the clips hoping for a 10 dollar fix but i need to replace the entire rubber fuel line $100 fix.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

xITSxTHExPOPEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOETHEPRO View Post
Well i found out it was the fuel line quick disconnect on the back side of the fuel rail.. tried replacing the clips hoping for a 10 dollar fix but i need to replace the entire rubber fuel line $100 fix.
I'm pretty sure those are the cause of the recall. Fuel can leak onto ur downpipe and if its hot enough it could cause an engine fire. Rather than wait 2 weeks to get mine repaired by a dealership i just went and bought a pack of assorted O-rings and found one that fit nice and snug in the connector, no more leak, and no gettin ****ed around by a dealership.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:02 PM

well i was told not to mess with the various o rings out there cause some break down with fuel and can clog the injectors. I have the part and its the entire fuel line assembly. The parts guy for chevy said it was a small piece but it like ten feet long lol.... im glad i made them deliver it.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Tags
2003, carlo, chevy, connector, disconnect, filter, fuel, gas, line, monte, pressure, quick, recall, regulator, smell, ss, vacuum