Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

SS = Super Slow? 03' upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:36 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question SS = Super Slow? 03' upgrade?

Hey folks! Quick question re performance in my 03' SSHS... Slowly trying to get my girl up to speed... Just installed ZZP 2.5" downpipe (thanks to this board)... Problem is the shop didn't use the right gaskets.. Went back, picked up correct ZZP gaskets but mechanic said it wouldn't matter, he was aware of the slight leak by the resonator but nothing could be done because it's all rotted around flange. So... My question. What now? Do I go for a Cat Back system (recommendations) or try to find a straight pipe and someone who could weld on a flange?

So I should have posted above question in Exhaust thread but my main question is re performance. This car is a dog... SO SLOW... What are some improvements I could make to get some ***** outta this V6? Is the slight leak on the downpipe resonator side draining that much power? You guys recommended a cold air intake. Any preference to models? I'm looking for some REAL GAIN. Can anything be done with this tranny? I ask cause when younger I had a 67 GTO with a 3500 stall speed converter that would honestly LAUNCH you off a red light. Now I'm not trying to compare that cars power to this but hopefully you understand. This tranny just winds out forever. So what else can be done if anything to get me where I wanna go? Someone mentioned a performance chip?

Finally, my dream... Put in a ridiculously powerful V8 with manual tranny? Possible without dropping serious cash? How bout a modded V6? Either way... Looking for power. PLEASE HELP!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Best bet for power is boost. You won't do too much on just bolt-ons.

If you want to get a cat-back, do it for sound only. Not for any performance gains. If you don't care about sound, just go to an exhaust guy and have him fix it.

My recommendation? Don't spend a lot. Just do simple bolt-ons like a CAI and a front power log and get a tune. It will help driveability a little, but you aren't going to get huge boosts of power without boost.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Boost boost boost these engines love boost! And you never really have to worry about the bottom end. Turbo is going to give you the most bang for your buck! A nice $3000 zzp turbo kit and you can be looking at a 300whp car without much else for add ons. Your going to need a built tranny from Triple Edge Performance to keep up with all that power but for relatively cheap (about $6000+ install) you can put the super back in super sport. Even cheaper if you go used in the turbo kit. If you want more hp you can work on the can shaft and valve train, and of course the heads.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is it a must to do the tranny at the same time I install the ZZP BOOST? Where can I look for the tranny at? If I'm reading right the tranny will run about 3k plus install? How about a worked motor? Forgive my ignorance as I'm not too versed in mechanics but my brother in law had an 86 Camaro that he said had a "blue printed" motor if that means anything... Anyway, that car was crazy fast. Are there places that sell worked motors that would fit this car? Or are we talking too much cash? I got the GO FAST bug in me after driving my pops 13' vette... Not a Z06 but his car is ridiculous. Now I want a "baby" version of all that power. Problem is... No Vette money. Haha... Thanks guys.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The motors are stout enough. You don't need to get a built one unless you blew one lol.

For transmissions check out: Triple Edge Performance - Home Page

Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
The motors are stout enough. You don't need to get a built one unless you blew one lol.

For transmissions check out: Triple Edge Performance - Home Page
Like chunk said, you can boost these motors about 10 psi stock. As long as its intercooled.

3000 I figure is for trans and install. If you got a buddy or a shop you know who can do it cheap. 1800 I think is for the TEP built trans alone.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I also agree turbo is the best bang for your buck. Cartuning performance also makes a very nice kit (this is what I have) as far as the trans it's not needed the same exact time but plan on needing one very soon after adding a turbo. I second Dave at tep he is a very good trans builder. Any turbo, engine build for turbo setup or trans questions feel free to ask as I've done it already lol

Just keep in mind 400whp is a good number to stick around because much more than that you will start breaking tep trams parts and will need gmr trans parts and the gmr parts are no longer available new. Gmr parts sell used from time to time not very often as there scarce and when they do sell there very expensive parts. I have all gmr parts and I have a ton of money invested but I'm looking to make 550 - 600whp

Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 PM

As thee ol adage goes.."how fast you wanna go..how much money you got"?
I have an '03 MC SS that started out as a, "SuperSlow"...I couldn't stand driving it after awhile..especially since its badged as a g-dang, "SuperSport"! So, that has to change.
One day I pulled the trigger and went ahead and installed a supercharger (along with a intercooler, and headers).
Just to hopefully help you understand the involvement in a SC install...(unless you buy a, "Top Swap kit") you will need to collect quite a few parts to pull off a SC install. For example, you'll need the heads, lower intake manifold, fuel injectors (and the fuel rail assem.), the coil bracket (needed for the SC belt tensioner assem.), the harmonic balancer (has an additional serp.belt groove set for the SC belt), and probably a few other things I'm not recalling at the moment..from a SC engine.
Honestly..if I didn't have the vast collection of parts for SC/NA 3800's laterally on shelves in my garage, I would have probably purchased a turbo kit from, ZZP or Statama.
To come back to your question of, what you can do to make more HP/TQ...well, unless you want to spend A LOT of money (and still not be as fast as the boosted 3800 guys)...you're gonna want to seriously consider..well first, "how fast you wanna go"...THEN, how much you wanna spend, then seriously consider going with a "boosted" setup.
Lastly, the transmission in your Monte now ~may~ last for awhile (depending on how you drive for the most part). Like mentioned above, "TripleEdgePerformance" is a highly recommended transmission shop to go with...second would be, ZZP...that's where I got mine and I was very pleased with my transmission (after warranty expired, I rebuild/refreshed it with new clutches, and installed a few trick parts from TEP).
Good luck...and when the infection of the "speed bug" kicks in...you're gonna be in trouble. Lol