Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Does anyone know about using a MARINE engine in a car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Does anyone know about using a MARINE engine in a car?

I feel alone on this one, so I'm hoping to get ANY response. I bought my Monte, and inherrited a freshly rebuilt, mostly stock, Mercruiser 260...and I'm putting it in my 85 SS. Just wondering if anyone else has ever done anything similar.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Why do you want to put a marine engine in a car...

Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

For one...
The cam,timing,heads ,torque ,power,etc are all wrong for a car....how you going to hook up coolant lines and wheres the ports gonna be for the water to cycle thru the block? wheres the water going to come from? You plan on driveing it in the lake?...... Its a bad Idea all the way around..
So yes your all alone on this idea!

Its mean for a boat ... period....

Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've heard of boats using small block Chevy motors before (I knew someone that had a boat with DUAL big blocks). From what I understand, it's the same block as used in a car BUT it may have some different internals to account for it's different use.

Personally, if it were me, keep the marine engine in a boat..... Plenty of car engine available.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 PM

im pretty sure hes not talking about an outboard motor here.

theres absolutely small and big block motors that are used in boats. hell speed boats that get drag raced run big blocks, and are monsters. speed shop that machined the motor for my 80 builds marine motors just for that. in fact its part of the reason why i brought it to them besides the 50years theyve been there. think about it a marine motor is going to spin like a psycho for extended periods of time. im going to assume it probably has a high volume oil pump, probably a windage tray, and other high performance hard usage goodies. if its a small block chevy, can except gm bell housings, has freeze plugs, is liquid cooled, and has motor mount bosses why not run it?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member

I inheritted a freshly rebuilt Mercruiser 260, which is essentially a chevy 350...take off the external marine parts (exhaust bellows, etc.), and your left with what is almost an automotive block. I added a different intake, cam, and carb...

Old 06-12-2013, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
For one...
The cam,timing,heads ,torque ,power,etc are all wrong for a car....how you going to hook up coolant lines and wheres the ports gonna be for the water to cycle thru the block? wheres the water going to come from? You plan on driveing it in the lake?...... Its a bad Idea all the way around..
So yes your all alone on this idea!

Its mean for a boat ... period....
I obviously have taken off the external marine parts, and replaced them with a water pump, and other auto parts to make it useable...

Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
im pretty sure hes not talking about an outboard motor here.

theres absolutely small and big block motors that are used in boats. hell speed boats that get drag raced run big blocks, and are monsters. speed shop that machined the motor for my 80 builds marine motors just for that. in fact its part of the reason why i brought it to them besides the 50years theyve been there. think about it a marine motor is going to spin like a psycho for extended periods of time. im going to assume it probably has a high volume oil pump, probably a windage tray, and other high performance hard usage goodies. if its a small block chevy, can except gm bell housings, has freeze plugs, is liquid cooled, and has motor mount bosses why not run it?
Which is exactly why I'm using it. I mean, the bottom line is that I can't afford to rebuild the motor it came with, and I just happened to inherrit a FRESHLY rebuilt Mercruiser 260, that was ran long enough to break the cam in. Sure, some parts had to come off, and some added from my other motor...but all is good. I'm just wondering if I can run across someone who has done this before.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM

im sure you can run across numerous people who have done this, and are currently doing it if you do your research. im going to go out on a limb here and say that not many people if any have done this.

i dont remember if your previous thread included the block casting numbers, but if you have them you can narrow down to what motor this thing actually is and what vehicle it was supposed to go in. from there i would try and find out what components mercruiser changed and just work from there. possibly contact them and see what they say.