Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Dextron III or Dextron VI

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Dextron III or Dextron VI

I'm going to be doing a tranny fluid and filter change soon on my 2004 SS Dale Jr car. The car originally came with Dextron III. The service advisor at the chevy dealer recommeded staying with the Dextron III instead of going to the Dextron VI. Others have said to go with the new fluid and there is even a TSB on Alldata that says something to the effect that Dextron VI is to be used in place of all previous fluid versions whenever a tranny repair or change is done.

How many of you guys use the new Dextron VI and have you had any problems using it or has your tranny shifted better with it? Thanks for any info.

Wayne

Old 12-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

i believe the dexron VI is the latest fluid recommended and tested in place of the dexron III! i'm sure other members will give further info on this! but i remember reading that in an earlier thread here..

Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Dexron VI all the way! My 06 came factory fill with it, but any other car with Dexron III i've switched. Dexron VI is WAY better than Dexron III.

That guy at the dealer should not even be recommending Dexron III to any of the customers.

NONE of the Dexron III's available are GM approved fluids anymore, none carry a license to be marketing or selling Dexron III. This means that there is no quality control on the fluid you are getting.

Dexron VI is the only transmission fluid licensed to be sold as a Dexron fluid by GM, and is completly compatible with Dexron III. Make the switch!

Here is a list of all the offically licensed fluids that GM approves for use as a Dexron VI fluid:
GeneralMotors DEXRON®-VI Global Service-Fill Specification

During early 2005 General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Since the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRON®-III service-fill fluids available at the time it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRON® service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated DEXRON®-VI.
Since General Motors introduced the first ATF service-fill specification in 1949 it has been periodically necessary to upgrade the specification. This upgrading process ensures that available service fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the factory fill fluid performance. It should be noted that, as with previous upgrades, DEXRON®-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. More importantly, earlier type fluids are not forward compatible with transmission hardware that was designed to use DEXRON®-VI fluid, i.e. DEXRON®-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All current calibrations and certification tests are now conducted with DEXRON®-VI ATF. DEXRON®-III fluids should not be used for these applications where the owners manual recommends the use of DEXRON®-VI. GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.
All DEXRON®-III licenses expire at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date GM will only support the use of DEXRON®-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in DEXRON®-III applications” or similar wording should be avoided. DEXRON®-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications.
The use of unlicensed fluids and/or non GM approved aftermarket additives may prove detrimental to transmission performance and void warranty coverage.
There is a published list of GM-approved brands of DEXRON®-VI (see page two of this release). This list represents the companies who have conducted the appropriate testing and received GM approval. Company name, license number, and brand name are shown. This list will be updated on a regular basis as more approved products are added.
DEXRON®-VI Service Fill Approved Fluids
Company
License Number
Trade Name
Advanced Lubrication Specialties
J-60155
Advantage DEXRON®-VI
Allegheny Petroleum
J-60152
Altra DEXRON®-VI Transmission Fluid
Amalie Oil Company
J-60156
Amalie DEXRON®-VI Synthetic ATF
Amalie Oil Company
J-60156
Wolf's Head DEXRON®-VI Synthetic ATF
Amalie Oil Company
J-60156
Xcel DEXRON®-VI Synthetic ATF
American Agip Co. Inc.
J-60306
Agip DEXRON®-VI ATF
BP Lubricants USA, Inc.
J-60309
Castrol DEXRON®-VI ATF
Cam2 International
J-60158
tbd
CAM2 Oil Products
J-60327
CAM2 Synthetic ATF DEXRON®-VI
CAM2 Oil Products
J-60329
CAM2 Synthetic ATF DEXRON®-VI
Carquest
J-60323
Carquest DEXRON®-VI Full Synthetic ATF
Chevron Corporation
J-60005
Chevron ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Corporation
J-60005
Havoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Products Company
J-60308
Chevron ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Products Company
J-60308
Havoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Products Company
J-60336
Chevron ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Products Company
J-60336
Havoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Citgo Petroleum Corporation
J-60159
tbd
Citgo Petroleum Corporation
J-60317
CITGO TRANSGARD DEXRON®-VI
ConocoPhillips
J-60004
ConocoPhillips Company DEXRON®-VI ATF
ConocoPhilips
J-60004
Kendall Motor Oil Company DEXRON®-VI ATF
ExxonMobil Corporation
J-60002
ExxonMobil IMP 6544
ExxonMobil Corporation
J-60002
Mobil DEXRON®-VI ATF
Fuchs Petrolub AG
J-60310
TITAN ATF 6000 SL
GMSPO
J-60301
GM Vehicle Care DEXRON®-VI ATF
GMSPO
J-60301
AC/Delco DEXRON®-VI ATF
Gulf Oil International
J-60304
Gulf DEXRON®-VI ATF
Gulf Oil International
J-60311
Gulf DEXRON®-VI ATF
Hicks Oil Inc.
J-60326
Formula 500
Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation
J-60332
tbd
Isuzu Motors America, Inc.
J-60333
Isuzu Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-VI
Kuwait Petroleum
J-60314
Q8 Auto D VI
Lubricating Specialties Company
J-60322
Unitran DEXRON®-VI
Mainlube Superior Maintenance Lubricants
J-60334
Mainlube 161
Morris Lubricants
J-60324
Morris Liquimatic DS J-60324
Northland Products
J-60316
Northland DEXRON®-VI ATF
PDVSA Deltaven S.A.
J-60315
TRANSFLUIDO SINTEICO DVI
Penrite Oil Company Pty Limited
J-60302
Penrite ATF DX-VI
Penrite Oil Company Pty Limited
J-60312
Penrite ATF DX-VI
Petro-Canada Lubricants
J-60001
Petro-Canada DEXRON®-VI ATF
Pinnacle Oil, Inc.
J-60321
National DEXRON®-VI ATF
Pinnacle Oil, Inc.
J-60321
Marathon DEXRON®-VI ATF
Pinnacle Resources, Inc.
J-60320
Multipurpose DEXRON®-VI ATF
Raloy Lubricantes
J-60335
tbd
Ravensberger Schmierstoffvertrieb GmbH
J-60331
RAVENOL DEXRON®-VI
Schaeffer Manufacturing Company
J-60325
Schaeffer DEXRON®-VI ATF
Shell Lubricants
J-60307
A/C Delco DEXRON®-VI ATF
Shell Lubricants
J-60307
Quaker State ATF DEXRON®-VI
Shell Lubricants
J-60307
Pennzoil DEXRON®-VI
Shell Lubricants
J-60154
A/C Delco DEXRON®-VI ATF
Shell Lubricants
J-60154
Quaker State ATF DEXRON®-VI
Shell Lubricants
J-60154
Pennzoil DEXRON®-VI
Sinopec Oil
J-60006
XunDong ATF VI
SK Corporation
J-60003
ZIC DEXRON®-VI
Smitty's Supply
J-60153
Super S
Smitty's Supply
J-60153
Sure Guard
S Oil
J-60007
tbd
Superior Lubricants
J-60328
Tuxton DEXRON®-VI ATF
SYNECO SpA
J-60338
tbd
Tianjin Idemitsu Lube Co. Ltd.
J-60337
tbd
Total Lubrifiants
J-60330
tbd
Universal Lubricants
J-60157
Universal DEXRON®-VI
Valvoline
J-60151
Valvoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Valvoline
J-60319
Valvoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Valvoline (Australia) Pty Limited
J-60313
Valvoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company
J-60318
COASTAL DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company
J-60318
WARREN DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company
J-60318
LUBRIGUARD DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company
J-60318
SERVICE PRO DEXRON®-VI

Old 12-15-2009, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Jeez MaMonte Mike, could you be more detailed?

6 came out after 3, made 3 obsolete. That's all. Your books don't mention 6 because it wasn't made yet. 6 and 3 CAN mix. 6 runs cooler and should last longer.

you can put 6 instead of 3, but on cars with 6 you can't put 3 instead.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 AM

10 Year Member

Just trying to help! :P LOL!

The reason I wanted to post the approved fluids is because it really does make a difference IMO. I was going to use RedLine D6 ATF when I did my first tranny fluid change, but noticed it was not licensed, then started compairing detailed specs, and it does not really meet the Dexron VI spec as well as RedLine claims it does. So I went with Valvoline Dexron VI because its a FULL synthetic, not a blend like most of them.

So my engine's entire life has been on Mobil 1
My transmission's entire life (since first change at 20,000 miles) has been on Valvoline Dexron VI Full Synthetic!

So far running STRONG!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 PM

Wow, thanks for that list. I guess I will be using the Dextron VI

Just as a side note, years ago I tried using synthetic Mobil 1 Tranny fluid in my 98 Chevy truck with the 4L60E and speced for Dextron IIE. This tranny did not like synthetic fluid and felt real sluggish while using it and almost felt like it was slipping. I switched back to a conventional tranny fluid and all was well again. That is why I have been hesitant about using a synthetic tranny fluid in a tranny not originally make for it.

wayne

Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 AM

10 Year Member

Don't worry, you will be totally fine! Your Monte has the same 4T65-E transmission as mine, and mine shift great.

All the Dexron VI's are at least a synthetic blend if they are licensed by GM, but I prefer full synthetic for everything!

My mom has a 2000 Bonneville with that same tranny (4T65-E) and her's was factory gill Dexron III, I switched it to Valvoline Dexron VI last time I changed the fluid, and it shirts perfectly.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the list. I have been wondering about 6 and since this is my first auto...I want to make sure I am putting the right stuff in it. (As weird as this is...my early 90's manaul trucks' trannys take Dextron 3)

Old 12-16-2009, 05:42 PM

i run dex vi in my 99 silverado as well my monty came with it. just try to get all the fluid you can out of the tranny and toqu converter so you know every thing is going to be clean.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM

oh 70monty01 i have the same trans in my 99 silverado i ended up getting it rebuilt like three years after owning it do to preveus owner abuse and mantenence neglect but there is a flaw in the trans the shop i took it to does all types of vehicles as well as race car trans they had me there when they pulled the trans appart there is a plastic band for a clutch in that poticular trans sounds weired till i seen it. got it repaired and only runs mix synthetic dex vi or full syntec trans oil i have noticed a gas mph boost in driving but it still eats gas do to it is a 4x4

Quick Reply: Dextron III or Dextron VI