Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Checking compression

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:03 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The Camaro was a late 80's. One day someone decided to plow into it right after I got done doing a ton of mechanical stuff. As I wanted to get all the maintenance stuff done so I didn't have to mess with it for a while, plus I did alot of other stuff as well. I like to maintain my vehicles, but after that. It made me not like doing it as much because someone at any time can total your car out causing you to lose all that money you put into it keeping it well maintained so your car will last a long time. I ended up getting another vehicle after that, and I had to redo everything like flush all fluids, filters, hoses, etc.

The compression came out good as they all were right around 185. I was able to get to the back plugs by removing the coil pack module. I still used a mirror to see where to guide the socket.

Good thing I replaced the plugs as the gap on them all were increased. The highest gap was at .075. The new plugs/wires fixed the slight engine stumble I had. I'd say it was probably because of the plugs.

The exhaust sounds kinda loud right at the back of the engine at the firewall when listening in the engine bay. It has that rumble sound. Though, it could be normal.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad moving the ICM/coils helped. Work on the 3100/3400 a little more and you won't need a mirror :p

Sounds like you had a nice Camaro. Sorry to hear what happened.

I still have my '84 in the garage (it's in pieces pending a SLOW restore). Next mission is to clean up the garage to get more work done on the Camaro. You can check out my cars by clicking the links in bold black in my signature (I have a FULL web site of stuff).

You mention maintenance, I've had a car totaled (a '93 Buick Century) and I try to keep my cars tip-top so they last and work for me reliably and safely. I never think twice about doing the work, taking pride in it and fearing someone may total it (I've argued with insurance companies enough to meet somewhere reasonable when that happens).

Right now, I still drive a '94 Grand Am with a 3100 (that is the previous version of the 3400 you've been working on). My 3100 has over 210,000 original miles (most work I've done is head gaskets in '09). She still runs like new. I've grown to be impressed by this my wife is now driving an '05 Impala we bought last December with 150,000 (it needed some TLC right off the bat, such as it had original plugs), but for what we paid, it was a STEAL!!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Glad moving the ICM/coils helped. Work on the 3100/3400 a little more and you won't need a mirror :p

Sounds like you had a nice Camaro. Sorry to hear what happened.

I still have my '84 in the garage (it's in pieces pending a SLOW restore). Next mission is to clean up the garage to get more work done on the Camaro. You can check out my cars by clicking the links in bold black in my signature (I have a FULL web site of stuff).

You mention maintenance, I've had a car totaled (a '93 Buick Century) and I try to keep my cars tip-top so they last and work for me reliably and safely. I never think twice about doing the work, taking pride in it and fearing someone may total it (I've argued with insurance companies enough to meet somewhere reasonable when that happens).

Right now, I still drive a '94 Grand Am with a 3100 (that is the previous version of the 3400 you've been working on). My 3100 has over 210,000 original miles (most work I've done is head gaskets in '09). She still runs like new. I've grown to be impressed by this my wife is now driving an '05 Impala we bought last December with 150,000 (it needed some TLC right off the bat, such as it had original plugs), but for what we paid, it was a STEAL!!
Are the 3400 prone to head gasket problems?

Good thing is the LIM gasket has already been replaced on the 3400. So, hopefully that will last a while.