Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Changing spark plugs on the 3800 was no fun.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:47 PM

This is just plain poor engineering by GM, I remember in years past it was a pleasure to work on my car. I am sure the auto mechanics have tips and tricks they use to put plugs in the back. I had a Super Charged 94 3.8 Park Avenue and remember my arms were sore for a week after changing the rear plugs. I rather have a few inches less in the trunk so I had more room in the engine compartment to work. I need to put plugs in this 2002 Monte, 100000, think I am going to have it done.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by russehrgood
I am sure the auto mechanics have tips and tricks they use to put plugs in the back.
They just stand under the car and reach up. Working with a lift is insanely easier

Old 08-23-2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by russehrgood
This is just plain poor engineering by GM, I remember in years past it was a pleasure to work on my car. I am sure the auto mechanics have tips and tricks they use to put plugs in the back. I had a Super Charged 94 3.8 Park Avenue and remember my arms were sore for a week after changing the rear plugs. I rather have a few inches less in the trunk so I had more room in the engine compartment to work. I need to put plugs in this 2002 Monte, 100000, think I am going to have it done.
I disagree with the poor engineering comment, the 3800 was on Wards top 10 engine list for multiple years. There are plenty of cars that are 100x harder to do plugs on than a 3800 w body. As an engineer, I don't really see what other feasible options they had. The locations of the plugs are pretty well set by the head and engine dimensions. Certainly they could've made the engine bay bigger, but with the engine rocked forward there is already plenty of room to complete the task. The other option would be to make it rear wheel drive so you would have equal access to both banks, but then people would complain about the back plug being under the brake booster.

Part of the issue is that ease of maintenance isn't a metric that is often evaluated or used. Excess engine bay space takes away from luggage and passenger room, both of which are heavily reviewed metrics in this class of car.

On top of that, plugs are 100k service interval, so it's not like a manufacturer is going to make special accommodations on a car for something that'll likely only get changed 1 time in the normal life of the car.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 08-23-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've done plugs on W and H bodies. I really don't find the rear's hard to do on the 3800 or 3400. Maybe I have longer arms and that is the difference. I get to them from up top, no rocking the engine forward.
The hardest part I have is getting a grip on the plug boot (due to the heat shields). I found the trick for that is use vise grips to grab the 1/2 inch of the plug boot sticking out from the plug heat shield, then twist and pull.

I never liked the back two plugs on the v8 in my '84 Camaro. Tore my arms up on that job.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I've done plugs on W and H bodies. I really don't find the rear's hard to do on the 3800 or 3400. Maybe I have longer arms and that is the difference. I get to them from up top, no rocking the engine forward.
The hardest part I have is getting a grip on the plug boot (due to the heat shields). I found the trick for that is use vise grips to grab the 1/2 inch of the plug boot sticking out from the plug heat shield, then twist and pull.

I never liked the back two plugs on the v8 in my '84 Camaro. Tore my arms up on that job.
Never had issue with the 3800 plugs. As people have said, just rock the motor forward. Worst Monte I did was a 5th gen 3100. For some reason, I just could not for the life of me get the angle just right trying to thread it in. Finally took a break, had a few beers, came back and finished it up.

I agree on the third gen Camaro. My IROC was a pain for the back pair. Tore myself up something fierce getting those.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 AM

10 Year Member

I cannot speak for a 3100 in a 5th gen, but I worked on plenty 3100's in 94-95 grand ams. The trick to getting to the back plugs was removing the 2 bolts and 2 nuts that held the entire cool pack assembly on and flop it forward on those cars.
But the 3400 on 00+ wbodies and nbodies I don't need that trick, takes about 30 minutes to change all the plugs.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:32 AM

We had the engine rocked forward and I had no problems getting it out. It was just getting the threads started. Had a funky angle to it. It was probably just the fact that it was different than the 3800s I'm used to that made it a pain for me.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They are tough to reach when you have a CSC kit and a california emissions package air pump

Old 08-27-2016, 12:16 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
They are tough to reach when you have a CSC kit and a california emissions package air pump
Sigh.... Just remove that Cali emission garbage, you're not in Cali lol.

And as far as the CSC, can't help you there lol.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Sigh.... Just remove that Cali emission garbage, you're not in Cali lol.

And as far as the CSC, can't help you there lol.
I'm glad none of my cars have the Cali equipment crap. Of course, even if I did move there (not going to happen) my 78 would not be anything remotely close to legal with the motor that's in there hahahaha

Quick Reply: Changing spark plugs on the 3800 was no fun.