Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Changing spark plugs on the 3800 was no fun.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
It's not so bad if you pull the upper "dogbone" motor mounts, rock the engine forward, and then secure it with the "second hole" in the passenger side upper motor mount bracket. This adds an extra inch or two of clearance in the back, which I've found really beneficial.
I will have to keep this in mind if I have to do this again or mess with the wires or plugs for some reason.

I wasn't very gentle with the back wires and probably enlarged the clip that clips to the spark plug so it won't make as good contact. I figure its better to replace it all at once and not have to worry about it again. Of course my Valve cover gaskets are leaking so I will probably have to take the wires off again anyway. I actually may leave the factory one on until I have time to fix the gaskets so I don't mess up my new wires trying to take them off.

Wayne

Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by 70monte1
I will have to keep this in mind if I have to do this again or mess with the wires or plugs for some reason.

I wasn't very gentle with the back wires and probably enlarged the clip that clips to the spark plug so it won't make as good contact. I figure its better to replace it all at once and not have to worry about it again. Of course my Valve cover gaskets are leaking so I will probably have to take the wires off again anyway. I actually may leave the factory one on until I have time to fix the gaskets so I don't mess up my new wires trying to take them off.

Wayne
If you didn't pull the dogbones and rock the engine forward, you'll be pleasantly surprised if you do it next time you have to do anything behind the engine.

I use a ratchet strap run between the engine and the radiator support before when I need lots of room. Makes a night and day difference in the working space you have back there.

-Riggs.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I'm getting ready to do plugs and wires on my 3.5L, which looks like its going to be just as "fun" as the 3.8L is for getting to the rear plugs.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

When I roll my engine forward, there is a 2nd hole in the left dog-bone mount, I stick the bolt I took out thru that hole to hold the engine forward.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 AM

10 Year Member

I'll definitely have to look for that second hole on the left dog bone. Now here is a question for you all...when rocking the engine forward is there anything that needs to be loosened, or disconected else where on the engine before you can roll it forward? I worry about putting to much stress on lower engine mounts, or what about the transmission?

My guess is that it just doesnt move forward enough to bother anything...but these are all thoughts i've often wondered about???

Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You just disconnect and rock. Everything has plenty of give and you won't break anything.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
You just disconnect and rock. Everything has plenty of give and you won't break anything.
Thats what I assumed, but I just wanted to check! Thanks!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by biggriggs
If you didn't pull the dogbones and rock the engine forward, you'll be pleasantly surprised if you do it next time you have to do anything behind the engine.

I use a ratchet strap run between the engine and the radiator support before when I need lots of room. Makes a night and day difference in the working space you have back there.

-Riggs.
That's the way I have to do mine since I can't rock the engine. Beats injuring your back or breaking some other body part, lol!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I must have little girl hands.... I had no trouble getting to my plugs! I think you guys are making this a whole lot harder than ti has to be.....

Old 01-13-2010, 05:36 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Eh, the plugs aren't that bad to do on the 3800. Basically doing the rear bank blind, but it's not that big of a problem really. It's a lot less of a PITA, cleaner & quicker job to do than some of the other "maintenance" that W-bodies are known for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing spark plugs on the 3800 was no fun.