Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

changing plugs and wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default changing plugs and wires

could somebody give me the run-down on changing my wires and plugs on my 3400, it would be greatly apperciated. and should i stay with delco or what?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

stay with the OEM plugs and wires! also try doing a search on the topic your looking for answers on!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Smile

i used to have a lumina and changed the wires once. i used duralast plugs and the cheapest bosch plugs. i also did an oil change at the same time.

the car ran like a dream after.

fyi only take out 1 plug at a time or take a peek at the haynes manual in autozone with a pen and paper. write down the firing order. this will make instalationa breeze.

i never did anything crazy like unbolting engine mounts and rocking the car just take your time and make sure not to do it while its freezing cold outside.[you'll break the plugs]. just borrow a garage for about an hour and you should be fine.

oem plugs and wires are expensive and might run upwards to 100 bucks.

it shouldnt cost 50 to tune up

GL and take your time no need for cuts and gashes.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 PM

could somebody give me the run-down on changing my wires and plugs on my 3400, it would be greatly apperciated. and should i stay with delco or what?
Not really much to it- go to the parts store, and just get OEM or basic OEM replacement (ie don't get fooled into getting stupid 'performance' crap). Take off one wire at a time, replace the wire- take the plug out and replace it. Once you get the new plug in and new wire on, do the next one. Keep going until you're done- that way nothing will get messed up.

One thing- make sure you don't go too cheap on the plugs or you could end up getting copper- which won't last nearly as long as stock plugs- make sure you're getting platinums or iridiums so they'll last 100k miles like stock.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do what bumpin said, easiest way to do. I prefer going to NAPA and getting their Belken wire along with the finest AC Delco plug they sell. Don't get into the E3 mess or anything like that, there ain't a whole lot fancy about a spark plug, so don't try to make it fancy. If you want to start getting fancy, then you'll have to pull together a few grand and we can start talking cams, heads, superchargers, top end swaps, etc. But for you spark plugs, don't get fancy. One at a time so you don't get confused is the best way. Just have fun on those back 3... I've never done them on a 3400 but it took me about 2-3 hours to do the plugs on the back of my 3800, front and back.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by mak330
fyi only take out 1 plug at a time or take a peek at the haynes manual in autozone with a pen and paper. write down the firing order. this will make installation a breeze.
LOL. No need to write it down. The firing order is "1-2-3-4-5-6".
Facing the engine bay, left-to-right, front are 2-4-6, rear are 1-3-5.
Coil packs are 1/4, 6/3, and 2/5 (may be reverse depending on location).

i never did anything crazy like unbolting engine mounts and rocking the car just take your time and make sure not to do it while its freezing cold outside.[you'll break the plugs]. just borrow a garage for about an hour and you should be fine.
Ditto on not loosening the motor mount. Although unplugging and removing the ignition control module helps. Just rest it on the plenum. A medium-sized ratchet extension should be enough to complete the job. No need for a pivot/joint adapter. Keep in mind that the plugs are not straight, but on an angle. Don't forget to plug in the ICM, if you remove it. No crank position sensor signal, and the car won't start.

oem plugs and wires are expensive and might run upwards to 100 bucks.

it shouldnt cost 50 to tune up
Agreed! A set of six AC Delco platinum plugs and a set of standard 7mm wires with LIFETIME warranty from Advance Auto Parts will run you ~$60. A little more for iridium plugs. And all you'll need in the future is plugs. If the metal clips rip out of the boots on the wires later on, (which is common), just bring them back and exchange them for free.
Please, don't waste your money. You do not need Taylor 8mm wires. You do not need MSD ignition or coil packs. The stock GM coil packs are more than sufficient (and efficient) to provide spark for stock as well as modded applications. Why do you think they never changed them from 2.8/3.1/3.4/3x00/etc.? In fact, I know someone running a 75-shot of nitrous on a built/cammed 3500SFI with adjustable FPR. The car doubles as his daily driver, and he's still using the factory GM ignition! Trust me. A little tune goes a long way.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I just did my plugs and wires last night. I was a little worried about taking off the dog bones and rocking the engine forward a bit, but overcame my fear and did it anyway. As long as you don't force anything to do what its not supposed to do, you are fine. Mine came forward about 2 inches, and it helped a lot. Very easy job actually. I was surprised how easy it actually was.

Stick with AC Delco plugs and wires...Maybe upgrade to Iridium, but stay AC Delco.