Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

- ATF Check -

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default - ATF Check -

[align=center]Automatic Transmission Fluid Check[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Like the human body, your vehicle runs on fluids: gas, engine oil, lubricants and the lesser-known transmission fluid. Without a sufficient supply of all the above, your vehicle can come to a grinding halt or, worse yet, a vital and expensive component completely dies. [/align][align=center]ATF Check [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Even though your automatic transmission is one of the least conspicuous components in your car, it's a prime example of the potential problem of ignoring those precious automotive fluids. You're probably pretty good about regularly checking your engine oil, so we're going to talk about monitoring the fluid that keeps your transmission running cool and smooth. The whole procedure is fairly simple, and only slightly different than evaluating your oil level. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Automatic transmission fluid, or ATF, is also checked with a dipstick, which may or may not be labeled "TRANS" or "ATF." Sometimes, the dipstick handles are color-coded — yellow for engine oil, and red for trans fluid. If your vehicle's two dipsticks aren't labeled or color-coded, you can tell by each of their locations which one goes to the oil reservoir and which one goes to the ATF. The oil dipstick is generally close to the center and/or front of the engine compartment and the stick tube goes to the bottom of the engine. The ATF dipstick, on the other hand, can usually be found near the rear or off to one side in the engine compartment. (Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, so look in your owner's manual if you're still not sure.) Another clue to identify which is which is color. Motor oil is amber to brown; ATF is either light red, pinkish or gold. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Once you've determined where the ATF dipstick is, the next step is to make sure your vehicle is parked on a level surface and the transmission is warmed up — a 10-minute trip around the block is enough to reach the "warmed up" temperature. Unlike checking your oil, which requires that the engine be turned off, leave it running at idle. With your foot on the brake pedal, run the transmission through all gears and back to park or neutral, depending on the instructions in the owner's manual. Some auto manufacturers know that owner's manuals have a way of disappearing and have stamped terse instructions right on the ATF dipstick blade. Make sure your parking brake is on as well. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The reason to have the engine running and all the gears engaged before you check the ATF level is to make sure that all the hydraulic chambers in the transmission are filled with oil and the fluid is circulating normally. This should ensure that your fluid-level reading is accurate. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Make sure the transmission is in Park and the safety brake is fully engaged before looking under the hood. Then check the ATF level the same way you examine your engine's oil level. Remove the dipstick, clean it with a cloth or paper towel, and then re-insert, making sure the stick is seated completely into its tube. Next, remove the dipstick, and look at the fluid level on the stick to see how close it comes to the "FULL" mark. [/align][align=center]ATF Specifics [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][b]Despite the similarity with an oil dipstick,

Old 05-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Default RE: - ATF Check -

A lot of the new cars don't even have a transmission dipstick.My wife's Chrysler Pacifica is one example.There is justa cap on the fill tube that says "Dealer Use Only".I guess we are too ignorant to check it correctly.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: Laserblue06ss

A lot of the new cars don't even have a transmission dipstick.My wife's Chrysler Pacifica is one example.There is justa cap on the fill tube that says "Dealer Use Only".I guess we are too ignorant to check it correctly.
Hi David, I think it'sChrysler's wayof getting customers
to come in for service & pay to have it checked.
I think it's dumb that they eliminated a way for the owner to check
their trans-fluid : ( How do you like the Pacifica ? My neighbor
just got a 07 & she loves it. I wash it for her once a week.
It's loaded & she got ripped off when she got it. Paid full
MSRP : (

Old 05-15-2007, 07:47 AM

She really likes the Pacifica.It is her second one.She had a 2005 FWD model and traded it for the 2007 AWD.It is the touring version with six bucket seats.I can't beleive how quick it is for a vehicle that size.The 05 had the 3.5 engine with a 4 speed automatic.The 07 has the new 4.0 engine with a 6 speed automatic,and dual outlet exhausts.We actually got a good deal on it,they gave her $2000 over blue book on the 05,and the 07 had a $1500 rebate plus a $1500 dealer discount.It was the same dealer we bought the 05 at,so I think they treat a repeat customer better than average.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I believe as we discussed on earlier threads, the sealed transmissions use proprietory synthetic fluids exclusive to each manufacturer.