Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Antilag for turbo 3800

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Antilag for turbo 3800

Ok everyone, I have not said much about this because I was unsure of how it would work etc but after a lot of research and help from a few people I feel confident this will work very well.

I am setting up a "antilag" system using the iat sensor. Basically wiring a relay in line with the iat so when the relay is normally closed it reads correctly but when the relay is powered it breaks the connection and the pcm defults to read -40°. I will have a push button switch to activate the relay, once activated and the iat/pcm reads -40° I will set the iat table (-40° column) in the tune to pull -30° timing. That should let me spool and boost like 15psi without the car moving, then coming off the switch the relay will close and give all timing back to launch....

This sounds very feasible and there is a guy using this setup on a turbo 3800 f-body (where I got the idea) and he says it works flawlessly for him. With some talking with maniac on here he helped me confirm the PCM between the f-body and my monte is the same so it should work the same for me as it does for him. I will update this with more info and also videos once wired/ setup and working properly...

Keep posted for further updates as I set this up and test this theory. Also if this does work I will post a parts list for future reference

Old 01-03-2016, 01:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My tuner friends keep trying to talk me into going this route. Zero lag, anti-lag etc. From what I read it recycles some of the discharging exhaust to keep things spun up. And eventually by continuously importing these hot gases back into the system and some components will be damaged and need replaced from the excessive heat. I would be interested more so if this is not really the case. But articles I have read mention all the excess gasoline that does not burn and used being expelled down the exhaust, in turn damaging components from the excessive exhaust heat. It does look cool at night for sure. My car goes back into the shop for an extensive fuel system upgrade to include the GM sanctioned Holley fuel management system. No more MAF air meter required. This anti-lag would be sweet to install at the same time. Also doing what John has the done and that is the installation of the AEM fail safe system and the Aero-force gauge system.

Anti-lag system

Name:  anti-lag%20system_zps5npvuizk.jpg
Views: 3167
Size:  26.8 KB

Melted turbine from anti-lag system

Name:  turbinemelted_zpszo6b8gei.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  121.6 KB

Anti-lag system video, pretty cool, instant power with a t/c system

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 01-03-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member

My antilag setup will not pop and shoot flames that would be a "2 step". Mine will sound normal just be able to spool the turbo without moving is all. The damage you speak of would be caused from a 2 step as that actually ignites the unburned fuel in the exhaust and passes them flames through the turbo which makes the back fires and flame shooting

Old 01-03-2016, 01:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sweet, now that would be of interest to me, the style of system your speaking of. My car will be going into the shop about Mar. , perhaps you will have your information more refined by then for me to copy. That would be so sick to be able to immediately be spooled. Glad I found your post John...

Old 01-03-2016, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member

I plan to have this done within a month if not sooner. I'll keep you posted!

Old 01-03-2016, 10:30 AM

On this general theme, does anyone know what ever happened to the trans brake that zzp was working on years ago? I remember seeing a video of a prototype but they didn't launch the car on it.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member

Never seen anything on it or even a video of it.... I know gm racing made a line lock/trans brake for it but you have to modify the trans case and valve body etc. Very extensive to do... I believe sonnax made the components I think but can't be purchased any longer.... some of the info about this is in the gmr trans build book.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

This kinda stuff always interests me. "Hacking" the systems in the car to go beyond what they were meant to do. Always awesome to see and read about!

Looking forward to more info as you move forward John!!

Old 01-17-2016, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member

update on this, i have everything wired up and when i activate the switch it breaks the circuit to the iat which the iat defaults to reading -40 then as soon as i release the switch it reads correctly.

i have not setup the tune and actually tried building boost with this yet because currently turbo monte is missing a fuel pump etc lol (more upgrades)

more info to come as i move forward with this!

Old 06-20-2016, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member

sorry i have not updated this in so long but this is how long it took me to get around to doing this.... the car is at the tuners and he verified the switch is working properly and the pcm is reading the circuit break like it should. he is in the process of tuning the iat table to pull timing when button is pressed and he will see how it works. he did tell me people do this on other platforms so he strongly feels it will work flawless