Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

ALRIGHTY. Let's see if I can stump anyone else PLEASE HELP ME FIX THIS GOING INSANE

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Default ALRIGHTY. Let's see if I can stump anyone else PLEASE HELP ME FIX THIS GOING INSANE

Okay. So to start. My car 2002 Dale Earnhardt SS NON sc car
Factory motor blown. Picked up a 2005 ss SC car. With the HD Trans in it, did a full engine and Trans swap, everything has 90k miles on it. Everything went in great, used the full 2005 engine harness with the engine and Trans. Got a 1.0 ZZP pcm, and tuned for what was done.

Everything went in perfect, hook up the new pcm, and new battery, fuel pump primes, interior lights come on, radio goes on, look at the dash cluster and the odometer is no numbers, just like all 8's all the way across. The indicator is flashing on what gear the car is in, all the gauges go about 1/4 way up and back down to bottom repeatedly, air bag and seat belt light flash back and forth together and the battery indicator is on in info center.

Turn key to start car fires right up, no security relearn, no tech 2 no nothing. Literally fired right up and drove it around the parking lot. Everything works except the dash cluster. Contact zzp they said never seen it. Told me to try factory 02 pcm and rule out new pcm. Gauges did same thing

WHERE DO I LOOK IM GOING NUTS. This is the last thing to get the car back on the road. Please anyone help, I've searched and searched and can't find someone who has the same problems. Helppppppp

Old 07-14-2016, 06:58 PM

First thought would be to do a full vehicle scan for DTC's. Also, there may be some communication issues between the newer PCM and the older cluster. A lot of manufacturers were switching from the old forms of vehicle module communication to the new CAN BUS communication during those years. Any issues in that area may possibly require a new cluster. In those particular years I'm more fluent in Chryslers way of doing things so hopefully someone smarter than me will jump in soon.

Edit: Just saw you swapped back to the old PCM with the same issue. Its possible the pinout changed for the communication circuits in the newer engine harness. May have to lay both New and old PCM pinout charts side by side and do a comparison.

Last edited by MoodyLane; 07-14-2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: .
Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 PM

Well if the pinouts were different from the 02 to 05 harness, would it be possible that I could just throw the 05 cluster in the car and it would be problem solved? I do have the cluster, which would suck cause I like my #3 RCR cluster from the dale earnhardt special edition lol. But if I have to I have to. Or would it not work either way because of the bcm?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 PM

And I still have the 02 engine harness also, reason for using 05 was because of the different plugs for Trans, and one or two plugs up top as well. Hopefully it's not the harness, would hate to have to change it all and Rewire the certain plugs

Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 PM

I guess it depends on whether or not the PCM communicates with the cluster directly or goes through a central gateway module. Another issue is whether or not the cluster connectors are the same. Short answer, i'd try the 05 cluster.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:05 AM

Damn this sucks everything else worked fine. Go
Figure there's always got to be something. Hopefully I can get some more insight, was hoping someone would jump on an say they've had the same problem lol. Thanks for the help so far.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:45 AM

Anyone else have any input on this. Would The 05 harness cause this problem being its used with a 2002 ecu and car?

Old 07-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Why did you swap the harness? Don't think that would of been needed to do. As stated above your gonna have to compare pinouts of both harnesses to see if they are different. Don't think they are though.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:24 AM

total newbie, but I'll throw in another thought... no mention was of the BCM and ECM being synch'd... I might be completely wrong, but it seemed to me the cluster, ECM and BCM all need to be sync'd up. Also, I'd double check grounds... most wiring issues I've come across was from "companion" ground points that weren't hooked up... Also, double check the pins on the cluster harness both on the cluster itself and the connector, as it's easy to bend a pin over or push out a wire from the connector.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:54 AM

Sorry guys it's been awhile. I forgot what my login was lol. Well to confirm, I removed the 02 computer, put the 05 pcm in and did the security relearn. It fired right up, and is working properly. Sent the 05 pcm to zzp for the 1.0 tune and it's been in the car running correctly for about 2 weeks now.