Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

4t65e?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 4t65e?

Does anyone know for certain if a 2007 Rendezvous transmission will fit a 2001 Monte Carlo 3.8 Series II?

By looking at this thread and on Triple Edge Performance where the info. came from I believe it will? As long its not an AWD Rendezvous right? I don't wanna drop the money at this salvage yard if it won't fit. I suppose I could ask them but would prefer some first hand knowledge from someone that maybe has dropped one in a 2001 Monte.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...on-info-34514/

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My guess is it will fit but the gearing will be completely different. but it's a guess. You could ask the guys at Triple Edge perhaps what to check for (I've messaged with them before and they seemed very helpful).

Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
My guess is it will fit but the gearing will be completely different. but it's a guess. You could ask the guys at Triple Edge perhaps what to check for (I've messaged with them before and they seemed very helpful).
OK that is what I plan on doing. Everyone around here from transmission shops and salvage yards are telling me I can only drop in an '01 Monte Carlo transmission into this. Although my nephew that does car repair says that he's 90% sure it will fit, but only said he was sure it would "fit". LOL

So what if the "gearing" is different? Can you reprogram it than to work I wonder? So far this is what I know about the Rendezvous: 4T65E M15 4SP AUTO 3.29 Option FR9

Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I'm pretty sure it would "fit," but like Jason said, I would guess the gearing is different. Although from what you are saying, the 01 3.8L has 3.29 gearing too.

I think there were some changes to the 4T65E in 2006...I think they were internal changes, but I'm not 100% sure what all the changes consisted of. Not sure if the changes make it compatible with cars that used the older version of the 4T65E. Definitely something to look into further.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I'm pretty sure it would "fit," but like Jason said, I would guess the gearing is different. Although from what you are saying, the 01 3.8L has 3.29 gearing too.

I think there were some changes to the 4T65E in 2006...I think they were internal changes, but I'm not 100% sure what all the changes consisted of. Not sure if the changes make it compatible with cars that used the older version of the 4T65E. Definitely something to look into further.
Boy this is really confusing now. I called GM directly and Jenna told me that I could also use an '01 Chevy Impala transmission in this. She also confirmed that yes the '01 Monte Carlo was a 3.29 gear ratio. She said the replacement would have to have a 3.29 gear ratio. The '07 Buick Rendezvous that I checked into has a 3.29 gear ratio, M15 (whatever that is), Option FR9 (whatever that is) and is a 4 speed automatic of course. All of which correspond I do believe with what I have in this Monte Carlo?

I've put in an email to Triple Edge to see what they say. Hopefully they'll have good news and this Buick tranny will work.

Thanks for responding and I will definitely look into this further. My buddy is willing to drop in this transmission for nothing (except beer LOL) but I want to make sure it will work before we go to the trouble of doing all this.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM

10 Year Member

I can tell you with absolute certain that a 4T65E out of a 01 3.8L Impala would work. It's literally the same set up as your Monte. You can't use a 4T65E out of a 3.4L because those have a different gear ratio.

Let us know what Triple Edge has to say about the 07 4T65E Tranny...

Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member

I can tell you with absolute certain that a 4T65E out of a 01 3.8L Impala would work. It's literally the same set up as your Monte. You can't use a 4T65E out of a 3.4L because those have a different gear ratio.

Let us know what Triple Edge has to say about the 07 4T65E Tranny...
Just got back in and this is what Dave says:
Hello,

The only year ranges you can work with is 2000-2002 for your 2001 application. All 2003+ 4T65E transmissions are electrically different and will not backwards retrofit with a lot of work and headache as well as custom tuning.

You will need to match the ID tag code for a direct replacement. There are two large letters on the ID tag on the back of your transmission case, this is what you need to match.

David Norris
So it looks like I'm free to choose any 4T65E transmission from 2000-2002? I'll ask him when I thank him but I'm assuming that is what he's saying?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member

OK now I fully understand it. I was thinking that this list:

Code:
http://tripleedgeperformance.com/4T65E_Vehicle_App_List.html
Was a compilation of all vehicles across all model years for which the 4T65E transmission was compatible. However its not its simply a guideline to tell you what years and models of GM vehicles came with that transmission. That was where some of my confusion came in.

This is Dave's latest response:

I'm not sure which list you are referring to as we do not have a list on our website for interchange. The application list is generic meaning that those vehicles came with a 4T65E model transmission, not at all specific per model.

You have to use either a Impala or Monte Carlo transmission and the ID code must match. There is an ID tag on the back of the transmission case, this is the only location of the code and this is year/make/model/gear ratio/engine specific.
So apparently if you are looking for a transmission for one of these cars you must match up that ID code to make sure you are getting the correct transmission. Ugh that changes things somewhat. Now I have to find out for the one I'm looking at if it matches the one in my car.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM

10 Year Member

I'm honestly not surprised by his response. I thought there was more to it that just finding a 4T65E with the right gearing.

Even going for a 2000-2002 tranny, you still need to make sure it has the right gearing. Fortunately, the Impala was pretty popular, so you should be able to find one.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member

I'm honestly not surprised by his response. I thought there was more to it that just finding a 4T65E with the right gearing.

Even going for a 2000-2002 tranny, you still need to make sure it has the right gearing. Fortunately, the Impala was pretty popular, so you should be able to find one.
Yeah its a little more involved than I originally thought. So now I don't wanna have to bother this guy again but do you or anyone else know what is the difference in these two transmissions:

A.T., 3.8L, 3.29 ratio (opt FR9), ID LCB
A.T., 3.8L, 3.29 ratio (opt FR9), ID LDB

Oh wait a minute that has to be the ID code he was talking about. I'm looking on car-part.com and they have a pretty good selection. Some of the descriptions mention the ID code and some do not. So I'll have to do some calling around on some of these. I still need to get my ID code too.

Thanks for all the help on this man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4t65e?