Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 3800 Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:48 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 3800 Removal

3800 Removal
tried looking and cant find any info.
i dont want to ask for a write up but if anyone can direct me to a write up/tutorial for removing the 3800 in a Gen 6.
ive pulled rear drive motors before but never attempted the front drive motors.
what to see what ill be getting into

Old 02-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There is alot of info on here about doing this. But in short disconnect all sensors and get harness out of the way. Remove dog money mounts, remove exhaust manifolds for a easier time. Unbolt motor mount on passenger side, remove belt, rad hoses, ac compressor, PS pump. Connect engine hoist and then remove all bolts from trans to engine. That's the basics but im sure im forgetting stuff

Old 02-09-2017, 10:05 AM

It's fairly straight forward, if you've pulled an engine before you should be fine. As turbo monte described, disconnect everything and pull it out. Do you have a more specific question?

One thing I will note is that there may be a bolt that is hard to disconnect from the trans and be careful taking off that trans ground so you don't torque it and bend/destroy the electrical connection - but anything can be fixed so don't sweat it if something does break.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:00 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Well its been years since i pulled a motor and those 70-80s cars are much easier and you have tons of open space to see everything plus less wiring and i would feel more confident reading a step by step guide instead of guessing. Ideal im looking for a thread with pics or a video. Like i said ive looked and cant find anything just want some detailed instructions before i start a project that i might not be able to complete.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:40 PM

Here is a guide from the Grand Prix people:

How to pull an engine: BillBoost Style

The wiring and fuel lines will be easy as it's just follow the wire and disconnect it. The most challenging part is separating it from the trans. You're right about space but it is what it is. Why are you taking the engine out?

Old 02-10-2017, 05:38 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

thanks
im pulling the motor because it developed a motor knock. im not sure why ive always got regular oil changes and this was used as a work car. never overheated or anything. well a week after my last oil change i notice what might have been a lifter tick as it was warming up for the drive to work. the drive to work and back home it was very quiet so i ignored it and assumed it went away and woulld double check the oil the next day but i forgot drove to work everything Was fine but as i got in the car to go home thats when the knock came and its been knocking every since then. check the oil and it was fine fresh and full. the car has been sitting since then(August 16)

Old 02-10-2017, 06:22 PM

Getting any codes? Minor exhaust leaks can sound like tick until warmed.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That link was made by "bill boost" or bill bostick. I know the guy and have talked to him many times. He is very knowledgeable.

If you have specific questions I can assist as I have pulled out these engines 4-5 times now. I do not have a write up though

Old 02-11-2017, 11:16 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by WBody
Getting any codes? Minor exhaust leaks can sound like tick until warmed.
well i only heard the tick that one morning by the next day it began to knock so im a bit pass that point lol