Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2006 Monte Carlo LT 3.5L oil pressure sending unit location? Oil Pressure light on???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Default 2006 Monte Carlo LT 3.5L oil pressure sending unit location? Oil Pressure light on???

I have searched for this and haven't found anything. I just bought this 2006 Monte Carlo LT(3.5L) and a few days later the oil light and "Low oil pressure...turn engine off" displayed in dash. I changed the oil and the old oil wasn't bad at all. It looks like it had been changed regularly. No crud or buildup came out when I drained it. The same lights came on in dash so I am thinking it is the oil pressure sending unit going bad? Is this common for these engines? Also, where is the sending unit located? Only thing I can find online is the location for the 5.3L V8...nothing on the 3.5L V6. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Default 2006 Monte Oil pressure.

Originally Posted by joe111599
I have searched for this and haven't found anything. I just bought this 2006 Monte Carlo LT(3.5L) and a few days later the oil light and "Low oil pressure...turn engine off" displayed in dash. I changed the oil and the old oil wasn't bad at all. It looks like it had been changed regularly. No crud or buildup came out when I drained it. The same lights came on in dash so I am thinking it is the oil pressure sending unit going bad? Is this common for these engines? Also, where is the sending unit located? Only thing I can find online is the location for the 5.3L V8...nothing on the 3.5L V6. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I am having the same issue. I will post another reply once I finish locating the oil pressure sending unit on mine. I have a 3.5 V6.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

@aspringthomas - joe111599 has not posted anything since november of 2012, I'm betting he found an answer to his issue and did not write back.

But to be of help, I believe the 3.5 is based off the block used in the 3.4. If that holds true, on the 3.4 the oil pressure sensor is in the front of the engine, just off center (towards the driver side of the car) and under the exhaust manifold. I've changed it on a few 3.1 and 3.4 engines. Easy to get to, but you don't have great visibility of it unless you are under the car. It will also require a special socket made specifically for the oil pressure sensor. I hope this helps you out.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Default 2006 Monte Carlo 3.5 liter Oil Sending Unit Location

Originally Posted by joe111599
I have a 2006 Monte Carlo LT with the 3.5 V6 and the oil light started coming on randomly. Also the Low oil pressure shut off engine came up on the dash. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit and has corrected the problem. The sending unit threads into the oil filter section. Its on the front towards the passenger side of the car below the exhaust. You can unplug it from the buttom right next to the oil filter. I ran a deep socket under the starter area with a extension to reach it. Wasn't extremely difficult once I located it.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Default Video

Originally Posted by aspiringthomas
I am having the same issue. I will post another reply once I finish locating the oil pressure sending unit on mine. I have a 3.5 V6.
I created a video which is not the best but maybe it will be some help.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Default Sending unit

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
@aspringthomas - joe111599 has not posted anything since november of 2012, I'm betting he found an answer to his issue and did not write back.

But to be of help, I believe the 3.5 is based off the block used in the 3.4. If that holds true, on the 3.4 the oil pressure sensor is in the front of the engine, just off center (towards the driver side of the car) and under the exhaust manifold. I've changed it on a few 3.1 and 3.4 engines. Easy to get to, but you don't have great visibility of it unless you are under the car. It will also require a special socket made specifically for the oil pressure sensor. I hope this helps you out.
I found it threaded into the oil filter section.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:45 PM

Hey guys. Sorry to respond to such an old thread, but I'm having the exact same error with my 2006 Monte Carlo LT (3.5L). It only happens after I've been driving on highway. It doesn't stay on, just goes off and on randomly.

I'm ready to try swapping out this part, but I'm not finding anything called a "oil pressure sending unit" or "oil pressure sensor" on Autozone's website. Could you guys give me the part number or a link to the actual part? Thanks!

EDIT: Pretty sure I found it here:
Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products PS-425 Oil Pressure Gauge Sending Unit: Automotive Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products PS-425 Oil Pressure Gauge Sending Unit: Automotive

Last edited by silkwormxl; 06-08-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:41 AM

Thanks Monte enthusiasts. My 2006 just developed the same warnings on the dash. Thanks for sharing. It made my troubleshooting very simple.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Default Monte Carlo oil psi sender

Sorry if this is a hi-jack... not intended to be. I just now created this acct.
I had an issue with my oil psi gauge not working. But I do have oil psi. At first no warning, but after a couple days, that stupid irritating warning Bell kept goin off... so I Googled the sensor location, and came up with this thread.

Just wanted to say, when I UNPLUGGED my sensor, my gauge started working again, and the warning went away. And the psi DOES fluctuate with eng rpm. I plug it back in, and the gauge goes to zero, and the warning chimes... so I just left it unplugged for now. And no issues with the engine not starting either.

Why is this possible?
2002 MC, 3800 II

Old 06-10-2016, 07:01 PM

it is a dealer item right now. I had to get one before a engine swap in mine, they said there the only one besides rockauto that has them. after a mile marker on the 3.5 the oil pressure sensor goes bad. the location is behind the front exaughst manifold you would have to have two long extentions and a socet to get the old one off and the new one on. be carefull because the wire for it is easy to break. the oil pressure sending unit is on the front passenger side where the radiator hoses are and behind the manifold.