Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

1998 Monte Carlo 3.8 will turn over but not crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Default 1998 Monte Carlo 3.8 will turn over but not crank

Last week my belt broke. I put on a new belt, but now the car will not start. It will turn over as long as I hold the key down, but will not crank. Tried to spray starter fluid into the intake, but that did not work. Any suggestions??

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You mean it will crank but not turn over

Check your fuel pressure, check for spark. Check for SES codes.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Whoa! Ether, ... Have not seen any of that stuff in awhile. =)

Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Belt as in accessory belt?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

How long was the car driven with a broken belt?? Did it overheat during this time? If so, you may have a seized engine.
If it did not over heat, there has to be more going on. Did the battery loose charge? If so, the starter may make a clicking noise OR if the starter attempts to do anything it will sound very "weak" and slow. Could try temporarily trading the battery with a known good one OR jump starting the car.

BTW (as noted) - Cranking means the starter is trying to do it's job (it takes the place of the old days when cars were started by a hand crank). Turning over (as I understand) means that the car's cranks shaft is "turning" (otherwise, something is bound/seized). Cars require air, fuel and spark to start as long as the starter is able to do it's job.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:39 PM

If its a main drive belt it could be your timing is off and causing something to not get what it needs at the point it needs it. Like a piston on exhaust stroke and having fuel sprayed in and the spark fire. If its an accesory bolt try jump starting it for more power.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:31 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MonteFox
If its a main drive belt it could be your timing is off and causing something to not get what it needs at the point it needs it.
I don't believe that is possible with these cars. These cars have a single serpentine belt and a a timing chain. The rotation of the pulleys when replacing the serpentine belt does not matter, just so long as the belt is routed the same. Now, if something happened with the timing chain, then we might have an issue of timing being off.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Wow Thanks guys. The belt (yes a single serpentine belt) broke upon starting and i immediately turned the car off. The starter is not making the clicking noise, it has a good battery, a good alternator, jumping it off helps none. I am under the impression that a timing job is expensive....

Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM

10 Year Member

So, the starter is at least making sounds that it is doing it's job and cranking?
I have trouble believing the single serpentine belt snapped and damage the timing system (these cars are electronically controlled, so the only thing I know of to mess up timing is a bad sensor or a problem with the timing chain).

So you started the car, it was running, belt snapped right away. I suppose hypothetically, when the serpentine belt snapped, it could have wacked a sensor wire or a vacuum line. OR depending how long the car was running without the belt on it could have drained the battery enough to prevent it from having enough juice to start....

It's just odd it was running when the belt snapped and now it won't start. Another thought is, did an assesory pulley seize causing the belt to snap? If so, perhaps the alternator has not been fully charging the battery. BTW - I find if I leave my Monte sit for a week without starting it, it will drain the battery to where I can get interior lights and such, but I have to jump it (I've been meaning to check for a parasitic drain, as I've never had a car drain itself like that).

Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 AM

All pulleys are turning, the vacuum lines are connected, there doesn't appear to be any wires hanging or not connected, the starter is definetely cranking, tested the alternator and it is good. I just had new plugs and wires put on it in Jan, could it still be a firing problem?... It is stumping me as well, guess I'm headed to the shop

Last edited by jbartram; 04-09-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: 1998 Monte Carlo 3.8 will turn over but not crank