Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

1.95 Ratio Roller Rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

First I would like to clarify a couple things that I said. In regards to the race that my Monte was in when I was NA and the results of that, would only be amplified on a supercharged 3800. Instead of being ahead by .26 in the 1/4, it could very well be .5 or more. That's a LOT especially if we're talking about cars that are running 12's or better. Every .1 begins to be more and more difficult to obtain.

Also, I would like to make sure that I wasn't misleading. A cam in an NA car will more then likely lose less mileage then a supercharged car, but in reality not by much. I've seen a lot of cammed L67 guys claim that they are getting upper 20's mileage wise. It's not nearly as bad as the old LQ1's (3.4L DOHC v6) that 95-97 Monte's use to have. IIRC, most of those usually were pretty lucky to get 20mpg bone stock. Don't quote me on that though, because that's only what I have heard. It would take one of our fellow LQ1 members to clear that up.

With that said, I haven't followed the L67 guys all that much (due to my unique setup), but from what I've seen there is a lot of people who have had great results with ZZP's XP cam. You will need 105# springs and moddified retainers, but otherwise you don't have to worry about the timing chain and you can use stock heads with them. Also, don't get Comp Cam springs, get the LS6 valve springs. The Comp Cam ones tend to break over a period of time (that's a bad day).

Old 11-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by zipper
First I would like to clarify a couple things that I said. In regards to the race that my Monte was in when I was NA and the results of that, would only be amplified on a supercharged 3800. Instead of being ahead by .26 in the 1/4, it could very well be .5 or more. That's a LOT especially if we're talking about cars that are running 12's or better. Every .1 begins to be more and more difficult to obtain.

Also, I would like to make sure that I wasn't misleading. A cam in an NA car will more then likely lose less mileage then a supercharged car, but in reality not by much. I've seen a lot of cammed L67 guys claim that they are getting upper 20's mileage wise. It's not nearly as bad as the old LQ1's (3.4L DOHC v6) that 95-97 Monte's use to have. IIRC, most of those usually were pretty lucky to get 20mpg bone stock. Don't quote me on that though, because that's only what I have heard. It would take one of our fellow LQ1 members to clear that up.

With that said, I haven't followed the L67 guys all that much (due to my unique setup), but from what I've seen there is a lot of people who have had great results with ZZP's XP cam. You will need 105# springs and moddified retainers, but otherwise you don't have to worry about the timing chain and you can use stock heads with them. Also, don't get Comp Cam springs, get the LS6 valve springs. The Comp Cam ones tend to break over a period of time (that's a bad day).

After much reading today, I have kind of started to lean towards the VS cam, because it's the most stock like and seems to have decent down low power as opposed to the XP, which is supposedly better on like highway pulls and stuff like that. I've also heard to for 90#'s you can use L76 springs, which are like $2 a spring from gmpartsdirect.com and are supposedly reliable. Would this benefit my set up? Planning on self ported heads being rebuilt at a machine shop, do I need a different retainer or should I use the stock L67 one? I heard that LS6's tend to wear on the timing chain, I think it was on grandprixforums.net

Old 11-21-2011, 07:11 PM

My suggestion is to figure out what you want in the end. If you want more hp etc then yes cam it. I would also suggest the XP cam if you are getting head work done since it will make better use of the head work then the VS cam. But if you want a decently fast street car and know that you will not want to mod more or want more hp later then go rocker. There are some rockered cars in the 12s but it all depends on mods etc.

Now from what I remember before ZZP changed their website, they was saying that 90lbs springs would wear more on the timing chain where as 105lbs springs would not. I do not know for a fact either way since it will be some years before I will get to play with that.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Commando
My suggestion is to figure out what you want in the end. If you want more hp etc then yes cam it. I would also suggest the XP cam if you are getting head work done since it will make better use of the head work then the VS cam. But if you want a decently fast street car and know that you will not want to mod more or want more hp later then go rocker. There are some rockered cars in the 12s but it all depends on mods etc.

Now from what I remember before ZZP changed their website, they was saying that 90lbs springs would wear more on the timing chain where as 105lbs springs would not. I do not know for a fact either way since it will be some years before I will get to play with that.
After really thinking about it today and the availability of the 1.95's I think I am just going to go with the VS. Here are the articles I read:

VS cam Vs. XP cam - General Tech Discussion

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/50-VS-Cam.aspx

There are more but I am watching How I Met Your Mother and a little too lazy to look them up Plus once my initial build is done I think I'll just be leaving it at that point for a longggggggg time.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's cool. You'll see a nice gain from the the VS cam too. I honestly wouldn't worry about the 105's too bad. I've had them for 5 1/2 years with no problems.

Now let me throw in a money wrench into this for you Have you looked at the NIC cam?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 PM

Sweet you are going to have to let us know how it works for you. It has been a toss up between the VS and the XP for me and I am no where near ready to decide.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by zipper
That's cool. You'll see a nice gain from the the VS cam too. I honestly wouldn't worry about the 105's too bad. I've had them for 5 1/2 years with no problems.

Now let me throw in a money wrench into this for you Have you looked at the NIC cam?
I have, and I must say that the NIC has one of the sickest cammed idle sounds I've heard to date, it's pretty awesome. It just seems like it's a little on the harsher side, and the reason I was asking about the 90's were because they're so cheap on gmpartsdirect, I wish I could find the post where it says it

Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 AM

Cam specs? - Page 3 - 3.8L V6 Supercharged (L67)(L32)

Someone says here that you should avoid the LS6 springs, but this isn't the thread I found initially, I gave up however on finding it hahaha. If I get L76 springs do I need new retainers?