Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

05 Supercharged SS - PSI Boost Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Default 05 Supercharged SS - PSI Boost Gauge Problem

Not sure if this is anything to worry about - but it is annoying. My "PSI Boost" gauge has gone wacky. The needle sets itself to a different location on the dial each time I start the engine. It kinda shocked me when I glanced at it while idling, and the boost showed +5. (Normally it would sit near -10 at idle). Any way of resetting it without taking it to a dealer? It's still under warranty, of course - but any contact with the dealer is usually a pain in the butt. Honestly, I wished they just left a voltmeter in the cluster, rather than the PSI gauge.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Default RE: 05 Supercharged SS - PSI Boost Gauge Problem

I KNOW it is a pain in the rear end, but if it's still under warranty, TAKE IT IN! If its free, take advantage of it while you still can..

I know my warranty on my 04 SS S/C runs out very soon, so I plan on taking her in one last time and having them look over a few little querks. If I were you, I would do the same.

Also, as many people DO NOT know... just because THAT dealer is ****ty, you DO realize you can take it to ANYone that deals with CHEVY. If they accept payment from chevy to do authorized repairs, then take it to them..

So if jo-schmo down the street has an affiliation with chevy, take it there. Thats what I did with my chevy express cargo van until it ran out of warrranty... My local mechanic Mr. Palko took care of everything

Hope that helps

-keegan

Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM

WELCOME TO MCF JEFF!!!

I would probably guess it was a bad gauge or a bad dash cluster. They clusters have gone out so many times that GM doesn't have new ones in stock anymore. I was just reading where they are all refurbished. It might be a good thing as they might have found a faulty part and are replacing it on all the clusters.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 AM

I guess that's what I'll have to do - take it to the dealership. I guess that's better than going to the dentist.... but not much.
Thanks for the responses. This seems like a great forum!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:09 PM

When I take my car into the dealer, instead of going in and just talking to them, I have a letter written up, and I hand it to the service advisor. He/She looks at me funny, but it helps them, because you've documented your issue, and you are properly communicating it, and they have it on record.

Describe the problem, and let them know what your expectation is, without being demanding. It's your right to get your vehicle serviced, and they are obligated to provide the service. They also usually treat you with alot more respect if you go in politely, and know what your problem is, and how to describe it clearly.

I used to hate going into the dealer... now, it's actually fun. [8D]

Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM

Well, I had an appointment scheduled for the dealer this morning to take a look at it, and whaddya know - it reset itself over the weekend and it's working properly now. The dealer said to keep an eye on it, and if it acts up again, bring it back in. That's okay...I didn't want to leave it anyway.

The way my luck usually goes, it will work fine until the day after my warranty expires.