Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Scratches on hard plastic trim

Old 05-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Default Scratches on hard plastic trim

Hey guys...does anyone know if it's possible to somehow "buff" out scratches in the hard plastic trim inside the car? I have a few in my Camaro and with the exception of these the inside would be just about perfect. I'm big on keeping it as original as possible and don't want to have to replace them if I don't have to. Any ideas?

Old 05-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Scratches on hard plastic trim

what part of your interior is scratched??

Old 05-06-2007, 12:00 AM

If you're talking about actual trim panels like where your feet go it's nearly impossible because of that rough pattern they use on the face of the plastic. You can remove the scratch, but it will be more noticable because the pattern won't be there anymore. And then you'd have to sand down the entire car before everything looks copasetic. Then you'll have a sore-azz elbow, and plastic dust all over your car, and panels that are MUCH easier to scratch because a flat surface shows a scratch much easier than that pattern GM uses. But if they get scratched it's much less work to remove them.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:59 PM

If your talkign the rocker moudlings then you can get new ones from G.M. still dependign on the year of the car If not im sure someplace hasd a repop of them.

Or you can chose to sane dthem smmoth and then paint the dash or parts black or the same color tha tis there now and clear coat tehm real good so that the scratches are nto there anymore and it still ahs a shine in them

But if it is the center council it is a paint the tail feathers to ge tthem to look right your better off just gettign a new one or sanding them down on a smooth surface you can do this.

start otu with a fine sand papre or at least a med. (use the highest grit you can) then you would go up in the grit count after each one to ge tthe scratches out till you were up to like 1500 grit and then you can polish them out with a good wax compound or jewelers rouge.

I have done this on some org. trim but honestly after all was said and none unless it is somethign that really bugs you i would leave well enough alone It was al whole lot of work to make it look right. and actually eaiser to find a new one and replace it.

Unless you decie to paint it then tha tis easy.
just wipe it down with a good thinner. and then you wipe it with a paint adheastion promoter and then shoot primer and paint on to it to ge tit coverd and then wet sand to make it smooth then you clear and wet sand again to make it smooth again and then buff it up with a good wax.
you can see my dash in my car i painted it red and this is how it was done
Good luck