Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Scratches/Chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Default Scratches/Chips

Hey guys.

Today I took off my front license plate holder, And there are some fairly deep scratches in the paint from it, as well as I have two chips on the front fender. I was wondering if you guys knew of a good method to cover these up that I could do in my drive way, or if i will need it done at a shop somewhere.

Chip
Scratch

Other than that the little chips I can hopefully just cover up with some touch up paint.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Default RE: Scratches/Chips

That's paint peel for the chip picture..

You could always sand lightly and paint over it..

Old 11-23-2007, 09:57 PM

I have just received a Paint Chip Repair Kit from Langka .com
It is said to be the best little kit for small chips. You use the little bottle of touch up that you can get at the dealer then use this product to level out the little bubble of paint that usually forms with touch up. I heard from several people that it works great. I have not used mine yet since the weather has turned cooler here.
Look at their website I mentioned earlier. It has lots of info about the product and how to use it.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 AM

Let me know if it works. I have a few chips that need to be taken care of.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:31 AM

[align=center][:-] Check out below infor [:-][/align]

[align=center][/align][align=center]
[:-]
Paint Chip Repair Advice
Repairing paint chips and nicks
[/align]
Chips happen. No matter how carefully we choose our parking spots or how far behind rock-spewing trucks we drive, no vehicle is immune from the occasional paint chip. Although repairs don't require going to an auto body shop, we're not going to fool you into thinking paint touch-ups are a breeze. The basics are simple, but they require patience and finesse. Think of the process as both a skill and a character builder, and you'll get through it easier. 4-Sure, `Space

[align=center][/align]
The Tools

The basics are simple, but they require patience and finesse.
The tried-and-true method of regaining a perfect paint finish is the little bottle of touch-up paint available through a car dealer or auto parts store. This paint should be a perfect color match (unless the finish is badly weathered or oxidized). You may think of your car as simply "red," or whatever, but there are thousands of reds. What you need is your specific "red." Even if the manufacturer no longer uses your vehicle's color, a dealer should be able to identify the paint color and supply the same color formulation.

When the chip has exposed bare metal, you'll need a few basic tools in addition to the touch-up paint and primer. These items include a good quality cleaner/de-greaser along with a final wax or glaze, a solvent such as rubbing alcohol, 600-grit wet/dry sandpaper, a 2,000-grit sanding block, wooden, un-dyed toothpicks, cotton towels, new pencils with unused erasers, and glue. It also helps to dispense the paint into heavy plastic cups—this makes it easier to get achieve a smooth application sans any blobs. Most of these materials you'll already have at home, but paint-chip repair kits and materials are readily available at your favorite auto parts supply store.

The Process

Start with a clean car. Examine the chip to determine if the primer is intact or if the damage extends to bare metal. If the metal is exposed and the dreaded rusting process has already begun, remove the rust with fine (600 grit) wet/dry sandpaper. The best way to keep the sanding to the damaged area is to glue a round of the sandpaper to the eraser end of a new pencil.

Using a toothpick or your fingernail, first flick the paint edges to get rid of paint that's been loosened around the chip. Dampen the chipped area with a few drops of water then rough up the chip and surrounding paint with a fresh sandpaper/pencil tool. The purpose is to give the new paint application a very small area of receptive paint to grab hold of

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align][align=center]Repairing paint chips and nicks

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Next, use rubbing alcohol over the chipped area to remove sanding dust and any fine layer of dirt. If necessary, re-prime the spot, using a toothpick as an application tool.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Some touch-up gurus recommend a very fine sable brush available through an art store. Whichever you use, the thing you're trying to avoid is applying globs of paint to the surface. Place the paint-coated toothpick in the center of the chip and allow the primer to flow into the indentation. You'll need to apply at least two thin coats of primer onto the depression, making sure any exposed metal is covered. [/alig

Old 11-24-2007, 04:39 AM

ORIGINAL: 03SS

Let me know if it works. I have a few chips that need to be taken care of.
No problem, I'll post it once I get a chance to try it.I don't have a heated garage, so it might be a while.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Well a good way to repair chips is this. First get your touch up paint, a very fine POINTED touch up brush (it should look like a sword), some 2000 grit wet sand paper and some rubbing compound, a fine microfiber rag, another ragfor cleaning, some wax and grease remover (solvent based ifthe chip is on metal and water based if it is on plastic),some wax,and a hairdryer (if you dont have a garage to work in or if its a cool day outside). If you indeed do have to work outside, pick a nice day when it wont rain for a while. Clean the surface with the appropriate wax and grease remover.If it is cool outside, get your hairdryer and warm up the surface you are touching up. Dont get it too hot or you will bubble the factory paint. Pour some paint in a small cup. Get your brush and dip the very end in the paint, and get just enough on the brush to be able to transfer it. Get close to the chip and steady your brush hand with the other hand and lightly dab the paint on the chip. Do it a little bit at a time, letting it set for 2-3 minutes in between. This way you will cover the chip coat by coat without using a mound of paint in the chip. By the time you are done, your chip should be covered and the paint should be flush or stick out just a little. Let the paint dry for about 20 minutes. Once its dry, get your paper and soak in in water. Once it soaks for a little bit and softens up, lightly sand over the chip area just enough to level out the surface. Dont apply too much pressure or sand too much or you may sand through the paint. Once its leveled out, dry the area off. Get your microfiber rag and rubbing compound. Buff out the paint lightly by hand until it shines. Once you are happy with the shine, put a light coat of wax over the area you just buffed out. Now you are done with your chip repair.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

From what I see, this is not a chip or scratch touchup paintjob. This is more of a professional job, but if you want to take it on know you really need to paint the whole bumper for it to look right. A Pro at paint mixing might be able to get away with feathering this type of repair, but if you are not, and it sounds like you are not, you need to paint the whole bumper. See, if you have a chip the size of a quarter, you need to spread it out to about the size of a softball, otherwise, the repair will be quite visable. Its like someone parching a quarter size hole in drywall. If you patch it, it is always visable. Cut out a 18" x 18" square, and the feather the putty out another foot, and the repair will never be seen again. It all depends if you want to do it right, or do a spit and bubblegum job. Most car deakerships have a scratch and chip guy that comes out about once a week. That looks like a $150 bumper paint job, and it will look perfect.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I guess it would have helped to click on those links. It looks like what you called chips are just the paint peeling. I know in alot of chevys had problems with the primer that caused a major problem in getting the paint to stay stuck to it. I hope for your sake that that isnt why your paint is peeling. If it is you may have to have the paint and primer stripped off it and get it redone for it to be a good perminant fix, tho the paint wont match exactly if you do that. If you just want a quick fix, you can have a body shop just feather out the peeling area with a DA and primer those spots and blend the base out so the bumper will match the quarter panels. They will put surfacer down, sand the surfacer smooth, scuff the entire bumper cover and cover those primer spots with base coat (color) then blend it out away from the spots so the color matches. Then they will clear the whole cover.