Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Detailing the monte

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Detailing the monte

ok so i plan on washing and claybaring Jack on thursday. my first question is :is there any retailers that simply sell the clay? i dont feel like buying a whole kit, my second thing is i want to compound,polish and wax but i was gonna use this

Meguiar's DA Power System Tool + Optional PowerPak Special Offer - Walmart.com

seeing as though i dont have alot of detail with a buffer i thought this will be a good idea, been seeing alot of good videos online with this

any thoughts or opinions?

Old 06-14-2016, 07:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member

I'd be interested to see how that thing works, too. I have no experience with machine polishing, but I've been thinking of buying a Meguiar's G110v2 to try it out. It seems like a good machine to start with...

I'm paying $400 for a paint correction on my Trailblazer, so I thought I might try to learn how to do this stuff....

Old 06-14-2016, 09:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What kind of drill do you plan on using with that? Because if you look at the specs of that DA, it requires a powerful drill, and most people don't have one strong enough.

If you wanted a cheap DA, go to Harbor Freight and pick up one of theirs. They are constantly ranked as a good quality DA for cheap, and we don't live far from a couple.

I went and picked up a proper DA this past year. Definitely worth the investment.

Most places I know don't sell just the kit in a store, you'd have to look online for just the clay, but usually the "kit" is the clay and a bottle of quick detailer, and it never hurts to have extra detail spray.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

There are several sellers on eBay that sell just the clay in various grits and sizes cheap.

Be careful not to go through the clear coat when buffing.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I have not used a buffer/polisher in years. I've switched to a product called Malco Flash Wax. Super easy stuff and to my know knowledge, auto paint supply places sell it (not the local auto parts stores).

Old 06-14-2016, 07:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

ive been doing a lot of research on detailing and im only gonna clay until the paint looks smooth, been watching a lot of chemicalguys on youtube, i actually found a bar and a half of clay in the car bucket, i wouldn't of thought of harbor freight, its too late unfortunately cause i went and ordered the da polisher along with the different pads and whatnot from Walmart, should be able to pick it up from the store Thursday hopefully. and i got a 18v cordless drill with 2 batteries....haven't use that thing in a while, still, i imagine it would do a better and faster job than me doing it by hand

Old 06-15-2016, 05:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015

OReillys has a single bar of clay in the appearance chem, isle the store I work in does.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by owens91
i got a 18v cordless drill with 2 batteries....haven't use that thing in a while, still, i imagine it would do a better and faster job than me doing it by hand
To do any paint correction with that DA you'll need your drill to work at about 3500 RPM, just check the specs of your drill.

But like you said, it will definitely be faster than doing this by hand, just unfortunate if you don't have a drill strong enough to do paint correction, if that's what you really need.

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday

Old 06-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I have not used a buffer/polisher in years. I've switched to a product called Malco Flash Wax. Super easy stuff and to my know knowledge, auto paint supply places sell it (not the local auto parts stores).
Hey Jason, exactly which Malco Flash Wax product do you use?

I checked eBay and there are several different products (pastes, liquids and waxes) in various fruity flavors...Lol

Old 06-15-2016, 10:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
Hey Jason, exactly which Malco Flash Wax product do you use?

I checked eBay and there are several different products (pastes, liquids and waxes) in various fruity flavors...Lol
This looks like the bottle I have in my garage. Awesome stuff.

Attached Thumbnails Detailing the monte-s-l1000.jpg